Ever grown choyote squash?

Reaction score
I'm not sure I've ever even eaten one, so I bought one to try. Lo and behold, a bit over a week later I still haven't figured out what to do with it. But I found it hiding and the crazy thing sprouted on me! I didn't even realize that's how they grow. So has anyone else planted these before? How did they turn out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My grandparents grew them in the backyard when I was a child. I never ate them until I became an adult, but I loved going out and checking them every day as a child. I learned recently that they are perennial and that you can grow them indoors (which I still have my suspicions about). I found one at the market a couple years ago that was sprouting, but I misunderstood how to plant it and it didn't live. I'm hoping to try again because they have become rather expensive at the grocery.

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It has been quite a while since I grew them. We had them on a fence on the side of our property and let them trellis up the fence. To cook it, we did it kind of like a stuffed zucchini. We scooped out some of the inside, stuffed with hamburger, sausage or even vegetable stuffing. Put the scooped out part back in with the stuffing. Then we baked them in the oven. Sorry I can't give you more specific times or recipe. This was when we lived in South Louisiana. They were called mirlitons there.
So, I decided to do a search and see if I could find a recipe. I found one at nola.com (New Orleans, LA). It sounds really good. Check it out here.
http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2013/07/stuffed_mirliton_recipe.html

Ask a Question