Have never, EVER grown determinant...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've always heard that Epsom salt placed at the bottom of the hole, with a layer of dirt between it and the roots of the mater plant, is supposed to be a surefire way of killing nematodes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nope. You could use shrimp meal, because the various bacteria and fungi that would consume the chitin in the shrimp shell would love to get their enzymes on the chitin of a nematode skin. They say everything tastes better when it is fresh. Another deep way is sugar, but that is more of a feed it all and increase the competition route I suspect. Nema go too deep to get to them, but they do not move to far per season either. I can suppress them but still see RKN evidence at the end of the season. I have not tried the anti-nematode nematodes or anything else since my thyme oil trial. I tilled it in again this year.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
"Busting the Epsom Salt Myths"........(and like Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can always believe what you read on the internet".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have even used whole eggs, where amino acids from the protein are useful after they are broken down. While the eggs disappear over the course of the season, they are not immediately useful, which is off the point of what I want in the intitial planting hole.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First taste test results.....This IS a "keeper".....IMHO, a 10 on the International Tomato Taste Chart....
20190519_140055.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
YEP.......the determinant (Phoenix) tomato is a GREAT choice, IMHO.......REAL tomato taste, plants that grows straightt upwards (not outward in EVERY direction). Well WORTH the "trouble" of successive plantings.
20190608_140719.jpg

Ask a Question