Never ending bulbs?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've tried and tried to replant my flower bed in a certain area but I can never seem to remove all the bulbs from my Daffodil's & Daylily's so they always come back. I've dug down deep, pulled them out by hand, replanted other items...but they always seem to peek up anyways. There's one or two bulbs that I miss. I've also tried putting several layers of weed covering to see if it would make them die, they push through the covering though. Any suggestions on what I should do or am I stuck with them? They are beautiful, don't get me wrong, but they keep growing and growing every year and although I trim them down, they still flourish. That sounds like something I shouldn't be complaining about but after 13 years I'm ready for a change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's possible they are dropping seeds which are gradually developing into bulbs that then multiply and spread. When you dig, do you remove all the soil in the entire bed? Or are you just digging around where you think they are? Trimming them down only makes the bulbs stronger, so I would stop doing that. When you first see the leaves coming up, dig up the bulb and relocate it to a pot, or give it to a friend.

Reaction score
I agree with Channel on this one, my aunt has daffodils and I have seen this happen to her as well. My aunt had such a hard time getting rid of them, they are tough! I thought it was harder to get of purple heart plants, but daffodils seem tougher!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'll take all those daffodils you don't want! :) Isn't it funny how one man's weeds are another's treasure!

Ask a Question