Have never, EVER grown determinant...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
.....tomatoes until this year. EVERY indeterminate that I've grown in the past has grown into a space consuming jungle of vegetation.....a LOT of "fruit", but at a "price", having limited space. So this year, I decided to try Phoenix tomato seeds......plant, harvest, pull, repeat. So far, I am VERY pleased with the decision. The plants are strong stalked and do not "ramble" in every direction.......Hopefully the taste will make it a staple in my garden.
20190504_091341.jpg

P

Peace perfect peace

.....tomatoes until this year. EVERY indeterminate that I've grown in the past has grown into a space consuming jungle of vegetation.....a LOT of "fruit", but at a "price", having limited space. So this year, I decided to try Phoenix tomato seeds......plant, harvest, pull, repeat. So far, I am VERY pleased with the decision. The plants are strong stalked and do not "ramble" in every direction.......Hopefully the taste will make it a staple in my garden.View attachment 53140
If you really want a bumper crop use "EPSON SALT" you can order it via Amazon and believe me you'll have a bumper crop /Larger toms and very tasty. Plus you've to many leaves on that plant, tie the tomatoe cluster and not the stem, the wieght is the toms and not the stem,
Give the Epsom a try you'll be glad you did read up on google toms and EPSON SALT.
Good luck with your crop.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Epsom salts can be purchased at most grocery stores, all pharmacies, and even Wal-Mart. I use them for my roses, but haven't thought to add it to the tomatoes.
I don't remove leaves from our tomatoes--we are in a very warm climate and the leaves help keep the tomatoes from getting sun scald.
David, those are very handsome tomatoes on a lovely plant! Phoenix is on my "to buy" seed list for next year!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you really want a bumper crop use "EPSON SALT" you can order it via Amazon and believe me you'll have a bumper crop /Larger toms and very tasty. Plus you've to many leaves on that plant, tie the tomatoe cluster and not the stem, the wieght is the toms and not the stem,
Give the Epsom a try you'll be glad you did read up on google toms and EPSON SALT.
Good luck with your crop.
If you use a large quantity of epsom salts on the roots of an unwanted plant, and cover it up with plastic, it will gradually kill the offending root. At the same time some of it it will seep into the surrounding soil and feed other plants nearby.
Don't overdose anything you want to keep ;)

P

Peace perfect peace

Epsom salts can be purchased at most grocery stores, all pharmacies, and even Wal-Mart. I use them for my roses, but haven't thought to add it to the tomatoes.
I don't remove leaves from our tomatoes--we are in a very warm climate and the leaves help keep the tomatoes from getting sun scald.
David, those are very handsome tomatoes on a lovely plant! Phoenix is on my "to buy" seed list for next year!
Hi and a good morning to you,
I did say in one of my blogs that the french do things a little different in some ways and here's one they do ref tomatoe plants ref sun & rain,
when they plant out the toms they have a roof idea over the tomatoes to both keep the rain off the toms and it acts as a sun shade,
when you think about it you dont see tomatoes growing indoors with all thoses leaves !!! the tomatoes are almost without leaves.

Hope this may help.

P

Peace perfect peace

If you use a large quantity of epsom salts on the roots of an unwanted plant, and cover it up with plastic, it will gradually kill the offending root. At the same time some of it it will seep into the surrounding soil and feed other plants nearby.
Don't overdose anything you want to keep ;)

Hi Tetter, the same thing works for rotting down old tree trunks, just drill a few holes and fill with water first let it soak in and then apply (fill the drilled holes) with the salt. And when the trunks gone have a good Wake with plenty of what you like (mines red wine) cheers(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Epson salts is simply magnesium in the final analysis. It has no merit unless there is shortage of magnesium, seldom encountered.

e

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Epson salts is simply magnesium in the final analysis. It has no merit unless there is shortage of magnesium, seldom encountered.

Not true here at all. Major issue actually, contributing to soil acidity due to its abscence via leaching. But epsom is magnesium sulphate, and its the sulphur we do not need in as much abundance, so dolomite lime is a better choice here, with fertilizer containing a smaller amount of sulphur.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom

e
The magnesium gives a boost to alliums, but the sulphur also raises the levels of beneficial compounds and the pungency, of onions, garlic and leeks.

Ask a Question