Has Spring Sprung

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Same here...pecans leafed out. Now if only I can get my okra going all will be good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Same here...pecans leafed out. Now if only I can get my okra going all will be good.
Yesterday evening I had a severe thunderstorm.....With hail about the size of a quarter. Just big enough to cut tomato plants in half, including the test Celebrity. I had already planted all of my seedlings and I have 2 tomato plants left. If the nursery doesn't have plants I am out of luck as far as tomatoes go this year.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yesterday evening I had a severe thunderstorm.....With hail about the size of a quarter. Just big enough to cut tomato plants in half, including the test Celebrity. I had already planted all of my seedlings and I have 2 tomato plants left. If the nursery doesn't have plants I am out of luck as far as tomatoes go this year.
Bummer. I always fear those forecasts of hail cause I know what it can do to young plants. Nothing much one can do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bummer. I always fear those forecasts of hail cause I know what it can do to young plants. Nothing much one can do.
For the first time I can remember the availability of plants here is limited as I have been trying for almost 2 weeks to buy some more tomato and pepper plants. Cutworms this year are as bad here as I have ever seen. If they don't cut the plant down outright they eat the roots and the plant stays in a wilted state. Pull up the plant and there it is happily chewing away on the roots. Between hail and cutworms I can't decide which is worse. I have tried everything I know to get rid of them, from soil drenches, sprays to collars. Nothing works. If I can get some more plants I will sift the soil and try to get rid of them that way.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Have you tried a Lowes? The one near me often gets in some Heatmasters or similar this late. Sucks to be without tomatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
For the first time I can remember the availability of plants here is limited as I have been trying for almost 2 weeks to buy some more tomato and pepper plants. Cutworms this year are as bad here as I have ever seen. If they don't cut the plant down outright they eat the roots and the plant stays in a wilted state. Pull up the plant and there it is happily chewing away on the roots. Between hail and cutworms I can't decide which is worse. I have tried everything I know to get rid of them, from soil drenches, sprays to collars. Nothing works. If I can get some more plants I will sift the soil and try to get rid of them that way.
What kind are you after? I have 20 or so beefsteak and super steak hybrids, a variety of bell,chile, mirisol, pablano, mexican jumping bean, hatch. Only 1 pablano an nmj bean though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
The snow has melted, the daffs survived the further six inches of snow that came a few days later, and are fully bloomed and happy. The tulips have just joined them and the hyacinths are up too. I'd say spring has come to my area of the mitten. We're a few weeks away from safely planting outside, but the tree in the house and tomatoes in the greenhouse are doing well.

Ask a Question