Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We live in Zone 9 :)

Screenshot 2024-02-17 135449.png

Although I did use to work on Thomas Hardy's House in Dorset too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
They're not much good, there's no hardiness zones. :D I notice the winter one is in black. We've had a better winter here than the rest of Britain, tut!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't really compare, we are an off-shore island sandwiched between the North Sea and the Atlantic, America is a continent. Continental countries get climates, we get weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
But the climate in London is different from Aberdeen which is different from Cardiff. You do have climate and it’s probably more like California where we have 24 zones (Sunset Garden Book) as opposed to 10 for USDA. Takes into account highs, lows, altitude, slope, aspect, wind exposure, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to disagree. Climate implies a greater degree of predictability. The average annual rainfall may be greater in Cardiff than in London, and the average temperature lower in Aberdeen, but just because it is Summer does not mean we won't get hail or snow, and there are sometimes lovely warm, sunny days in winter. The lack of the consistency found in continental climates, I reckon it is why Brits talk about the weather, it is varied and not very predictable.
The sun just came out briefly, though the ground is still wet from the rain earlier, could be a nice day yet, you never know.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, the map shows us in zone 9, but there's a bloke I know on the coast here (same zone) that grows Agaves outside all year round. Likewise, there is a Carpobrotus growing on the coast and doing fine.

Try growing either of those outside here up on the hill (we can see the coast from here) and they'd freeze to death outside in the winter. So really, zoning the UK is a load of pants.

I just heard this morning from a viewer in Denmark that they've zoned his country too :eek:

Ask a Question