Hanging baskets lets see yours

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We don't have hanging baskets here but the vertical garden is getting to be in fashion. It is invented for those who have no ground to speak of and a wall can serve as a base. The vertical garden is actually a frame of wood or metal that holds small platic pots and the frame is positioned upright like a wall. When the plants have flowers, it is a good sight. We have that in some avenues here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hanging baskets are really difficult here. I've tried in my limited gardening career and failed to keep them going. Look good for a bit but that's it and I have spent quite a lot of money in my attempts. :( My only consolation is that 2 gardening friends who are English have given up too and that's saying something as they love them. The both have lovely memories of absolutely beautiful hanging baskets outside shops in England.
At the moment, because I hate to give up entirely, I have 2 hiding at my garden shed to see if they come good. I have Big Red Geranium in one and white Plectranthrus in the other and I have chosen these because I have them in growing profusely in my garden and so if and when they die in the heat it won't have cost me as it has in the past. Maybe I have to think in terms of them as annuals, that they are here for a good time, not a long time!!! ;)They do have large hanging baskets with both the ones I am trying for sale in nurseries and they cost a bomb so I am keeping my fingers crossed. At the moment I have 1 near the front door with succulents which is ok but it's really a bit plain and boring. A couple I have put in there flower so maybe when that happens it may look more impressive.

Wish I could be of more help with what you could grow, plus the bigger the basket helps, mine are both 16 inches and I lined with compost plastic bags with the black on the outside , I put a tray in the bottom to act a reservoir and that's filled with swell jell and slow release fertiliser so just in case they will be ok for a couple of days , growing what the garden center does sound best way forward. you could always plonk a Koala bear in to add interest and a couple of cockatoos will add colour ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We don't have hanging baskets here but the vertical garden is getting to be in fashion. It is invented for those who have no ground to speak of and a wall can serve as a base. The vertical garden is actually a frame of wood or metal that holds small platic pots and the frame is positioned upright like a wall. When the plants have flowers, it is a good sight. We have that in some avenues here.

I bet you could have some hanging baskets filled with orchids ?
I think that's what I would do or / and stags Horn Fern which I have seen growing In Florida, plus air plants aka Tillandsia are bound to like your climate , start a trend and say it my English style basket :cool:;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
What a great idea Planet Max. I really think I could manage a stag horn hanging basket. I have a great fern lady at a localish market for sale quite cheaply a few weeks ago. It's on an Saturday's no hopefully she has some left. I posted a photo of what I have attempted with them on the stag horn thread by Dr Case.
I also have 2 small air plants
image.jpg
image.jpg
They are under cover as part of my Home made "grandfather clock" Wall art. I'll look into that as well for a hanging basket. Have a great nursery which stocks loads. It isn't localish...a bit of an expedition but a few of us gardeners get together ad visit every few months.
Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
image.jpg
It's nesting season!!! I remembered this happened last year. The magpies come and take the "straw " from the lining of the hanging baskets for their nests and the baskets do end up looking pretty tacky. Pretty cute really, it looks at me with a few strands in its mouth and flies off. Comes back for more. Hopeful he's not building a two story mansion. :(

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
What an ingenious idea! I don't have hanging baskets yet but you bet I am going to try it out. Just never thought about it before and seeing yours gives me motivation to put up one. I hope it will do well here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
we cant grow the ones you have as we have a disease that kills them in the UK but we do have a alternative
New Guinea Impatiens which is ok BUT I dont think as nice ...

Max
I just bought Red New Guinea Impatience but was told it was an indoor plant because it didn't like cold and frost. It would look lovely in hanging basket but I guess in a protected area. Is this true or have I been led up the garden path.....again?:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
plant out once the frosts are over, are going into spring now ?, as we grow that outside here in the UK during the summer as bedding and hanging baskets tubs etc , its a easy plant to grow .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
plant out once the frosts are over, are going into spring now ?, as we grow that outside here in the UK during the summer as bedding and hanging baskets tubs etc , its a easy plant to grow .
We are heading into Spring , in fact tomorrow is the first day of Spring. I do have some lovely new signs of life In my garden. Good for the morale :). I'll try to get back to the market I bought the New Guinea Impatience and try for a hanging basket.:LOL:

Ask a Question