Growing straight neck squash from seed

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I transplant my summer squash, winter squash, cucumbers, melons ...
Interesting...I use a totally opposite approach on each of those, i.e. I direct seed all squash. cucumbers, and melons.

I haven't found any advantage to starting and transplanting those in my climate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Interesting...I use a totally opposite approach on each of those, i.e. I direct seed all squash. cucumbers, and melons.

I haven't found any advantage to starting and transplanting those in my climate.

I'm not saying there is an advantage either way if the soil is warm enough. I've just always started mine in cells. I do the same in Summer for a late crop. Easier for me to water a tray than somewhere else in the garden. I'm saying I don't have troubles with transplanting them. Basically I'd say they grow fast enough so that if the soil is warm, they probably grow the same either which way you do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The weather here in south central Oklahoma just doesn't allow me to plant yet. Had big thunder storms all night last night, The garden is just one big mud hole this morning. anything that I plant would have been washed down to the creek. Still storming this morning.
I have plenty seeds. Might plant in the fibrous grow cups, plant seed in the ground when the weather settles, or just buy plants already started from Lowe's. It's a long season and I have many options.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm no expert, but it seems the squash take right off and it's hard to keep them healthy until you plant in the ground. I transferred in the past and they did ok, but this year I'm putting the seeds right in the ground.
Do you have any in the ground now? I'd think not yet, given your locale. What is your planting zone?

On a new note: I did transfer everything to the 4" fiber pots. Only lost one squash plant. The edges of the leaves on the squash are turning brown as if they are burned from too much light. HMmm?:unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you have any in the ground now? I'd think not yet, given your locale. What is your planting zone?

On a new note: I did transfer everything to the 4" fiber pots. Only lost one squash plant. The edges of the leaves on the squash are turning brown as if they are burned from too much light. HMmm?:unsure:
Or, could the edges be browning from improper watering? That is a sign of either too much or too little water and those little cells dry out very quickly. But whatever the cause repotting should take care of the problem

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Strong south winds right off the Gulf have been pushing warm humid air your way the last several days.

Hopefully no tornados but I've found those winds seem to encourage root system growth in my young garden plants...what doesn't kill them makes them stronger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do y'all snip off those "baby" leaves after the plant has true leaves? I repotted all i had room for and they look like they are doing better. Is it time to add a half strength fertilizer to the water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do y'all snip off those "baby" leaves after the plant has true leaves? I repotted all i had room for and they look like they are doing better. Is it time to add a half strength fertilizer to the water?
Not unless they yellow or look bad. Sometimes I do when I transplant them. If they have true leaves, you can start to fertilize.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I repotted everything and they look a little shocked, but they're coming back now. Watering with a little Miracle Grow in the water helped. We are looking at major storms tonight and I don't want to see all my veggies washed down the hill like last year.
I'm going out and cultivate in some hot soil into my beds before the rain hits. Wish me luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks , Chuck. I repotted into the fiber cups and everything perked right up. Now to get it in the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I put everything in 4" fiber pots today. Big storms rolling through again! I have GOT to get something in the ground besides potatoes and red onions.
When you repot into the 4" pots do you water then or wait?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The squash are now in a raised bed. Yay! I have 3 ten foot raised beds . #1 has yellow pear tomatoes, Brandy Wine tomatoes. #2has straight neck squash and #3 has cucumbers. Now I need to make three more raised beds for okra, jalapeños and eggplant.

Ask a Question