Growing plants in space

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's pretty remarkable, but I don't really see the need.

There's not much need for flowers in space, but knowing how to get things to bloom there is a good lesson if you want to grow fruit and vegetables in space. Those will certainly be very useful for longer duration space flights - eg. to and from Mars, or further.

I remembered seeing something not too long ago about a Japanese astronaut who was growing lettuce in space - I imagine for similar reasons, needing to know how things grow in those conditions.

Yeah I saw that too! It seems they're moving on to more and more complex plants :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is amazing that they were actually able to grow a flower in space. I watched Martian the other night and Matt Damon grew potatoes on Mars with his own well, uh. poo. I wonder if that would even be possible. The part that confused me in the movie was that he was able to move around and stuff without cables outside. I thought Mars was one of those zero gravity planets, but I could be wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
That is amazing that they were actually able to grow a flower in space. I watched Martian the other night and Matt Damon grew potatoes on Mars with his own well, uh. poo. I wonder if that would even be possible. The part that confused me in the movie was that he was able to move around and stuff without cables outside. I thought Mars was one of those zero gravity planets, but I could be wrong.

Funny you mention that as my husband is watching this movie in the background right now! And it was just up to that part, where he was trying to fertilize the soil with his poop!

Ask a Question