Growing small plants as a part time business

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Recently I saw a class offered by the local community college on growing plants as a hobby to sell as a part time business. It seems interesting and like something I might be interested in doing as a hobby and to make a little mone I have seen plants sold at the local Farmer's Market. I do wonder if there is a market for small home grown plants.

I did find a guy in Ohio that sells information on his set-up. Where I am is warmer than Ohio which would give me a longer growing season.

Anyone here have a business growing plants and selling them, other than vegetables?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I do not have my own business, but I can see how this would be a great idea. Especially if you live in a rural area where there might be lots of people who want to raise plants. You would want to have a greenhouse like area where the plants could be watered regularly and still get plenty of sunshine without getting too hot if you live in a very warm location.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've never thought of doing this as a business, but right now my intentions are to give away starter plants as presents.

I've been testing a hydroponic system using old fish tank water and seeing which of my herbs will take root in aerated water. So far everything is going too except for my rosemary. I guess rosemary doesn't like all the extra moisture.

My original plan is to keep cuttings indoors over the winter using my hyrolonic set up. But if anything really takes off from my spring cuttings I plan on giving them to family and friends with a carekit specifically for each plant.

WindFarmer

Nature always bats last.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Recently I saw a class offered by the local community college on growing plants as a hobby to sell as a part time business. It seems interesting and like something I might be interested in doing as a hobby and to make a little mone I have seen plants sold at the local Farmer's Market. I do wonder if there is a market for small home grown plants.

I did find a guy in Ohio that sells information on his set-up. Where I am is warmer than Ohio which would give me a longer growing season.

Anyone here have a business growing plants and selling them, other than vegetables?

There is definitely a market for homegrown plants (other than vegetables). I have never sold plants of any kind, but I can assure you that if you sold something unusual at the weekly farmer's market in my area, I would be one of your regular customers. Here -- way out west, in a very small town -- the same sellers are there week after week. After I buy my fill of plumcots (or Pluots, which I believe is the trademarked name) -- a delicious cross between plums and apricots (made by grafting the branch of one tree onto the other), I usually head for the lady who sells succulent seedlings.

The trick to success, I think, is selling something few others have to offer (thus, my attraction to the offerings of the "succulent lady"). If you do this, it might be worth considering inner-city farmer's markets. I haven't spent much time in Maryland, but I know I would be stopped dead in my tracks if I saw seedlings for sale on the streets of downtown Baltimore.

If I ever manage to overcome the challenges of the weather out here (it's cold and windy), I would love to turn our five acres into an agave farm; I understand there's quite a market for U.S.-grown agave, as even Mexico (where it grows like mad) cannot keep up with the demand. (It's used to make tequila, but in recent years has become insanely popular as a natural, healthy sweetener.) I hear that once the stuff takes root, it's almost impossible to stop its growth! (It also makes a great retardant for soil erosion, and is a good "firescaping" plant.)

I expect that if I were to ever get it growing, agave would be a great little plant to sell in starter pots. And if one could grow it large-scale, it could provide a very nice income sold as a raw material.

So, yes, if you have the space, try it! Not necessarily agave, of course, but perhaps something that could serve double-duty as both a decorative and a useful plant. By "useful," I mean edible, and/or something that would be beneficial in terms of combating soil erosion or the like.

Good luck! If you decide to do it, I'd love to hear how it works out.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The man that has written a system on growing plants in your yard as a business lives in Ohio and he states he has a thriving business. I also believe the key to success with this type of activity would be to have something different.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have a family friend who has a nursery of flowering plants. He propagates the plants in his garden and the planting materials are planted in small plastic pots that are later delivered to shops for selling. There are actually several buyers who buy on wholesale, they are the ones delivering to the stores in the mall. The guy has 1 hectare of land and 4 workers who were trained in the trade. From what I see, it is not easy to have a garden for a business.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Go for it @Pat if you have space around your home. I think it is an interesting and feasible idea. You are doing it because you love gardening, and if you can make money with it, it is the best of both world. It won't be work at all, lol.

I would love to find individuals who sell organic vegetable plants in my area who would sell for less so I can afford to buy them without breaking my budget.

Ask a Question