Fungus growing on rock and on plants

Is this type of fungus dangerous to the plants in my garden?

• Remove all infected rocks and plants

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United States
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums

Yep, my first thought was a Slime Mold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have lots of fungal growth here during the rainy season. Some are mushrooms but the fungus is pretty small to be considered mushroom. What we do is to clean the bark of the tree and the branches of the plant that is infested with fungus. As a parasite, fungus can kill plants because it sips the nutrients of its host. As a pest, fungus should be eradicated at first sight.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a new member here. Lately I've had the beginning of a mushroom infestation growing in parts of a 100 sq. foot area, just here and there. Below is a photo of the worst cluster, which is about the same volume as a regulation football. Any advice on how to thwart future mushrooms (after I remove these) ?
mushroom cluster.jpg
mushroom cluster.closeup.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, as for the above post, sorry if this topic has been addressed in a different thread...if so, just let me know.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Both the Acellular Slime Mold (Myxogastria, perhaps Fuligo septica or a related species) shown in the OP,
and the Puffball Mushroom (Lycoperdon sp. or similar) in the fifth post, are beneficial saprophytes, furthering the decomposition and nutrient cycling of soil and mulch. There is no need or benefit in removing them from ones garden.

Ask a Question