Growing lavender

Reaction score
Country
United States
My guess would be that it has something to do with the sprouts being "heirloom." 2000 is a lot of sprouts! May I ask what you plan on doing with all those plants? Have you been in touch with the company you ordered them from?

I figured it out. I'm very new to all this, having grown up and spent most of my life in Chicago and now living out in the country, and used dirt from outside which apparently had other seeds in it. My girlfriend and I are going to plant all 2000 seeds.. we're on 200 acres of land and decided to begin making use of it by growing things. So far we've constructed a simple indoor grow room and have been learning a lot through trial and error.. mostly error :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I figured it out. I'm very new to all this, having grown up and spent most of my life in Chicago and now living out in the country, and used dirt from outside which apparently had other seeds in it. My girlfriend and I are going to plant all 2000 seeds.. we're on 200 acres of land and decided to begin making use of it by growing things. So far we've constructed a simple indoor grow room and have been learning a lot through trial and error.. mostly error :D

LOL, that's how most of us learn. I've lost so many cuttings to either too much moisture or too little... a lot is also figuring out the timing. Where I live I should start garlic early - I just realized I forgot to do that, ugh! We get so much rain often, that I'm switching certain plants (like my lavender) to lighter mixes with less actual soil so the drain and dry out better. Then there is the humidity...

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do you care for lavender? Does it like a lot of water and sunlight? I also find that over time my herbs die. I don't want to invest in lavender if it has as short of a life span as my cilantro does.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
How do you care for lavender? Does it like a lot of water and sunlight? I also find that over time my herbs die. I don't want to invest in lavender if it has as short of a life span as my cilantro does.

How you care for lavender depends on where you live. Supposedly lavender likes heat, however it doesn't like high humidity. I lost some lavender plants this year and have started using a lighter soil mix so that they don't stay as moist for as long. Of the plants I started from seed, about 10 or 12 generated and only one is still alive after 3 years.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh wow okay. I live in the northeast so I'd probably need a heat lamp as it gets pretty cold here. That is good to know. Lavender seems like it's difficult to keep alive... Similar to orchids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh wow okay. I live in the northeast so I'd probably need a heat lamp as it gets pretty cold here. That is good to know. Lavender seems like it's difficult to keep alive... Similar to orchids.

Orchids are actually pretty easy once you let them be. I have some that came back from offices after the blooms faded and would otherwise have been disposed of. I've kept them alive indoors and I only water about once per month.

Lavender just needs the right attention during difficult weather conditions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How long after your did orchids lost their bloom did the flowers come back? I have an orchid and the flowers lasted 9 months. They just recently fell off. I love they way the orchids look so I'm wondering if it's worth it to just buy a new one.

Ask a Question