Growing Lavender from seeds

Reaction score
Country
United States
Decided to start a new thread since the others on the topic have been inactive.

Looking at pictures of fields of rows of Lavender makes says this has to be do-able. Previous tries of four varieties resulted in seed not sprouting and potted plants dying despite that they should like hot dry summers. But I will not give up. I'm determined. So here we go yet again.
How did everyone make out with your attempts to do this difficult lavender seed thing?
Has anyone tried air layering.
What worked for you both for germination and for growing long term?
This time I sandpapered the husk, then after 3 weeks in a damp baggie in the fridge, will peat-pot in window til April. This in addition to trying regular methods with some seeds. (Got lots of seeds)

Any suggestions to get success will be really appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love lavender and also love the pictures of the fields of lavender but I have not tried to grow them since our winter in Michigan is short. I would love to try to grow it this year in a huge container that I have and will experience this. I will start out with seed as soon as the weather is safe to do so.

Good luck with yours and let us know how you make out with this method.

Reaction score
Best of luck planting your lavender, so far I have only tried to grow mine from a cutting, but that's it! I could have never guessed that making it grow from a seed was all that hard. Best of luck with your project! Keep us posted!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I bought some Mrs. Meyer liquid soap a few years ago that came with a little packed of lavender seeds. I'd grown lavender before and had it done in by the heat. I started the seed in a compostable paper food tray on the windowsill in august. After realizing several had germinated I started to worry they would be too crowded and began separating them. Long story short, some didn't transplant well - may fault, and I ended up with only three plants. Winter got the smallest, but the other two are still going. Now I'm trying to clone them via cuttings so I can spread lavender all around the house to deter bugs.

You've reminded me I have some seed I collected that I should try and germinate!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When I started mine from seed in the middle of March, I made sure that the soil wasn't too moist in the compost pot and kept the conditions warm. (My previous plants were store bought.) Lavender doesn't like super moist conditions and really needs good drainage to thrive, otherwise it won't do too well. Yes they're semi-arid plants but they can get fickle at times haha. But once they're comfortable and thriving, they will grow like crazy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The one growing in my front bed, I have to literally womp back with my loppers every so often,or it will take over the entire bed. It's now roughly three feet across. Probably gonna have to split it into four plants this spring.

Ask a Question