Growing in cocoa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Splitting and cracking is caused by too much moisture in the soil and the tomato absorbing water faster than its skin can grow. This mostly happens when a gardener grows his tomatoes in drier than optimum conditions and a big rain comes or he forget to turn off the water hose.
Well that makes sense, due to the pot being full coco and perlite. Throughout summer I would let it dry out for 3 days then fully soak it. However we did have extremely hot weather which made it dry out in half a day. And then we had 1 week of rain.

I was giving it 1.5litrw every 3 days at first, but as it got bigger and I noticed the sun drying the pot out, that turned to 1.5 litres per day, it was still drying out by say 3pm. So that turned to 1.5 litre twice a day. Since the extreme heat has gone I give it 1.5 litre per day now. But maybee that's too much then, I really don't know. I give it tomato plant food twice a week aswell.

The plant has never really shown signs of underwater or overwater. It did start dieing at first that's when I started watering more regularly. None of the new tomatoes have splits or anything but there still small. I will have to take some proper pics and show you guys.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20220827_141542.jpg
20220827_141530.jpg
20220827_141501.jpg
20220827_141458.jpg
20220827_141450.jpg
20220827_141444.jpg
20220827_161654.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cherries for salads! Plums for sauces! Big ones for slicing!
I have some yellow plums which are really nice in salads, yellow tomatoes tend to be sweeter and not have the 'tang' of the red ones.
That plant is looking good and healthy with some nice trusses. Tomatoes release a hormone as they ripen which encourages those around to ripen as well, so you can control the rate you get ripe tomatoes a bit by picking them orange or leaving them to ripen fully on the vine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have some yellow plums which are really nice in salads, yellow tomatoes tend to be sweeter and not have the 'tang' of the red ones.
That plant is looking good and healthy with some nice trusses. Tomatoes release a hormone as they ripen which encourages those around to ripen as well, so you can control the rate you get ripe tomatoes a bit by picking them orange or leaving them to ripen fully on the vine.
Funny you just gave me a mental picture of over-ripe bananas hanging from a tomato plant for the ethylene effect.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's something else I didn't know, I was picking them off half ripe. When I let them fully ripen on the plant, 1 or 2 days after they just split open. Somebody told me a caterpillar is eating them.

Also on my pics, you can see the tomato that I've cut in half, the darker parts are actually green. Is that normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I often get a little bit of green like that, it doesn't seem to affect the taste. Have you noticed when you do anything with tomato plants, like taking off old leaves, pruning, even moving them around a bit sometimes, when you wash your hands after the water is always really green?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I often get a little bit of green like that, it doesn't seem to affect the taste. Have you noticed when you do anything with tomato plants, like taking off old leaves, pruning, even moving them around a bit sometimes, when you wash your hands after the water is always really green?
I've actually never noticed that, the only thing I've noticed is my hands stink after handling my plant lol

Ask a Question