Green house from plastic bottles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I was in love with this idea last year. Then I realized how many plastic bottles it would take just to make one wall on a small greenhouse and decided this was a project that wasn't for me. Aside from the time it would take me to save that many bottles, there is also the question of there the heck I would store them in the mean time.

Reaction score
I really like that idea. When I started making my own laundry detergent, whole other story lol, I told my friends and family that I would like their 2 liter bottles if they were just going to throw them away. Its been 4 years and I still have people giving me bottles. I now use them to start plants indoors, we store emergency water in them as well as the laundry detergent that we originally needed them for. We have about a hundred in the house and more keep coming. I think the 2L bottles might take less time to make up a greenhouse like this since they take up more space.

Reaction score
Nice idea! However, I wonder what a building code inspector would say if he saw it in your backyard? You definitely couldn't have one of these if you live in a gated community, with all of their little rules and regulations.

If you live out in the country a bit, this would be a smart way to have a greenhouse.

Reaction score
I currently live in an HOA neighborhood that feels it has the right to tell us what and where to build. I can understand it might be a good fit for some but for us it has been a little taste of hell. They didnt tell us it was an HOA until we had already signed papers on the home. Sneaky devils. We are looking for a new place where we can have more dirt and more control but the budget is making us wait. We are going to make a small green house in the back yard area behind the fence where the code enforcers dont look very often.

Reaction score
I like the bottle idea, but I have always wanted to start a greenhouse with antique windows. I 've seen a few instructions online on how to do it but the hard part is finding the windows.

Reaction score
This seems like something really intriguing, but it's going to take over 1000 plastic bottles! I don't think I have even used that many bottles in my life, as I have been using stainless steel bottles for the longest time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I looked at the little greenhouse, and I like it, too; but it would take me forever to get the bottles, and then another forever to build it. But I guess if you had the time and patience, and a lot of the bottles, it is a great way to cheaply build a green house.
I remember seeing one that was built from long PVC pipes rounded over, and then placed on rebar stakes that have been pounded into the ground. Then you put clear plastic over that and fasten it on with zip ties. It might not withstand a really bad storm, but other than that, it would do the job, and would not require storing up the plastic bottles to build it.

Ask a Question