Great end of season plant deals!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know I typically don't advise shopping for plants at big box chain stores...but I stopped at Lowes yesterday for a furnace filter and was drawn to the sales tables outside the garden center - 75 percent off perennials!

So I bought four coreopsis and four salvia plants (I love purple and yellow plants together) :love: and it cost me $11 plus change. And they're all pretty healthy looking! Plus a few weeks ago I bought some Weigelia bushes for about half off at my regular nursery.

Fall is the best time to plant perennials, and it doesn't hurt that they are deeply discounted this time of year. Or at least they are here when winter is approaching. Are plants discounted seasonally where you live?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I'm going to go by mine and see what's up, could be regional. On that note this is is about the start of the good time of year to plant water wise, drought tolerant and native plants here in southern California. Getting them in at this time helps synchronize them to their seasonal moisture (rain) expectations in combination with temperature expectations.

I'd love to get some salvia. We could still have a warm spell or two, but easy to keep in container a little longer and then plant within the next few weeks or so.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We went to a rose nursery yesterday (fall is the prime planting time for roses in our area of Texas) and bought seven roses. The two bargains were David Austin roses, which normally cost $12 to $20 depending on the nursery. I got two DAs for a total of $7.50!
My favorite local nursery will be having its fall sale early next month, and I want to get some more perennials that attract bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. We have quite a few now, but more is always better!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Greenhorn , I suspect it may be seasonal...here, once frost hits, we are in for about seven months of cold weather. Which means stores need to dump not only gardening and outdoor supplies, but summer clothing, BBQ grills, bicycles, AC units...in other words every consumable that can only be used in warm weather.

Conversely things like snow boots and winter clothing, snow shovels and ice melt, insulation and all manner of cold-weather staples are deeply discounted by spring, for I guess the same reason.

@marlingardener, score on your roses! :) I figured my $11 haul would have been a little over $60 at full retail.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
A bargain is a wnderful thing. It makes up for all the ones I've loved and lost:LOL:.
Our local nursery puts end of season plants out at a cheaper rate which is great. I go there so often they give me a little discount almost each time which is really great on them. Lovely young couple with 2 little boys and i like to support them. Actually if I'm feeling a little housebound and exhuasted from gardening sometimes I'll go up there and buy something I don't really need and have a chat.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
My mother's friend Sandra goes to Lowes and purchases reduced perennials for sale. She has a big yard to plant them in.

Ask a Question