Grass Clippings in compost ??

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello all,
I am having a banner year with my 2020 Covid-19 Graden! My place to leave it all behind and w/o a mask. I do have a question - with all the rain here in Western New York State I have an abundance of grass clippings. I know there will be weed seeds in this but it breaks down so quickly I'd like to use it. Whats the best way to deal with it? thanks for any help.

Mark

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well done on your Covid-19 garden fun!
Grass clippings can go into your compost bin (its the "green" aspect of making compost) but, you need to layer it with some "brown" elements (e.g. torn cardboard/shredded paper; twigs etc). If you just use grass clippings (and soggy ones at that!) all you will end up with is a soggy sludge.
The grass clippings will heat up a compost heap very nicely, just ensure you keep a balance of "green" materials and "brown" materials. Oh, and don't forget to turn it once a week to mix it up a bit and speed up the composting process.
Good luck - sounds like you are having a lot of fun with your garden.

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
TY - - I have my work cut out for me! I have a lot of both - grass clippings and leaves from last fall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If you do not want to turn the heap that often, just poke holes deeply through the grass cuttings, about every square foot or so. That will allow air to get in. Also, if it does all turn to sludge, don't worry you can still use it, it just would need digging in to the soil rather than just laying it on top. It will then finished decomposing in the ground. It works, done it rather more often than I care to report.

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks again, I checked first thing regarding pesticides, I use none of it in my gardening and there are none used on this lawn. I just turned the pile today using a tractor, pitchfork, and my back muscles. Mixed the grass clippings which were quite slimy, with dead leaves. I should take some pictures but it's the smell thats most striking. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks again, I checked first thing regarding pesticides, I use none of it in my gardening and there are none used on this lawn. I just turned the pile today using a tractor, pitchfork, and my back muscles. Mixed the grass clippings which were quite slimy, with dead leaves. I should take some pictures but it's the smell thats most striking. lol
Smells are ok. bio poots from feasting beasties.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The chemicals to which we referred are not pesticidal ones rather weed killing ones used to remove broad leaf weeds from grass without damaging the grass.
As said the smell is not a problem, it will go away as the stuff matures. (Or whatever the opposite of matures is,).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hope you don't use any weed and feed products like Scotts.

Ask a Question