Lemongrass

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This Lemongrass is now over one year old. Seems to thrive in our generally hot and humid climate and filtered light. Even bloomed and is still in bloom.

The fragrance is akin to lemon pledge, but I think it’s wonderful and fresh smelling. I make a tea from the leaves and stalks or add it to SE Asia style fish dishes. Not hard to grow and a rapid growing herb.
5CEE25CE-4A72-4E53-AADF-09505BE12487.jpeg
27392B0E-152F-4F4D-8D73-EA727A2594CF.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I love lemon grass, I boil and keep the water in fridge for a refreshing drink

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a few lemongrass plants from Home Depot after seeing this, and I really like it, and I have seeds on the way. Thanks for the mention!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder if lemon grass could be grown in the Pacific Northwest? It's so expensive to purchase at the store so I'm thinking if trying to grow it...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had the same thought about growing it under glass in Southern England. From time to time I see it on sale in the fruit and veg section as small plants which, although somewhat trimmed, seem to have a fair bit of root still. Has anybody tried it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Awesome. saw the seeds for sale in my favorite seed catalog, but they would have to come inside for the winter. Considering how little I use the spice I am going to just move on. I like using it on my pork roast.

Diana77

Total Newbie
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm planning to buy lemongrass as I know it's reputed to keep mosquitos away, along with lavender. Thanks for posting this.

Diana77

Total Newbie
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

I watched this video and I want to try this. When it comes to putting them out in the sun my balcony only gets a few hours sunlight in the morning. Is this enough to encourage the roots to grow or should I just buy an already grown lemongrass plant?

Also how does lemongrass do with cool mornings? I understand it thrives in hot and humid conditions.

Ask a Question