Grass clippings as space filler?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! My wife and I are brand new to gardening. She just bought to two decent size planter boxes that stand about 2 and a half feet tall. She said she needed a space filler at the bottom because she only needed about the top foot to be soil. I suggested we use grass clippings from our lawn. We have a fairly large lawn and can easily provide enough to fill the space. Is this a good idea? I've already filled the space and it's been several days and the grass is starting to smell and get mushy. We also don't plan on really using the box to grow vegetables until next year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Not really a good idea. The grass will begin to decompose and give off a lot of heat which would not do the roots of anything planted above. Also as they rot down they take up a lot less space.
When we grew things in containers I used to fill up the bottom half with broken up polystyrene bits Light weight and easily removed from the soil if you need to refill with better soil and plants later on.

Ask a Question