Googly Eyed Monster

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Does anyone remember Wilbur and Cyril (thankyou Beverley for the names), my goggly eyed monster. I'm afraid this magnificent Powton , and all the other names it has, is comingbto an end. Several of its tallest branches snapped in a windstorm 2 days ago and what is left isnt worth saving.
rps20181122_224733.jpg
rps20181122_224614.jpg
] Sad heh!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh no, that's a shame! :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's sad to lose any plant, but when it's a mature tree that's been growing for many years it's loss is felt even more. :(

A couple of months ago I had a 60ft Scots Pine felled. A beautiful tree that was leaning quite badly and wasn't safe to leave standing.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Enough to give you nightmates:confused::eek:View attachment 15741Can anyone else see him? I'm hoping that when I go back down this morning in daylight he'll be gone, that is, it will just look like a normal tree to me.:p....instead of a horned, googleyeyed, confused thing lurking in my garden. Actually, he probably looks quite harmless:rolleyes:....most likely trying to hide:love:
Yes i can see him, but what about those green eyes in the purple flowered bush just in front of him.:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I must say you had me guessing for a while Logan but I eventually spied the green eyes down low. ....Keeping an eye on what is going on;). I've got till early January to come to terms to saying farewell to this tree:cry:, the little bushy fella in the front will have to run for cover:eek::rolleyes:o_O;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I obviously couldn't bring myself to say goodbye so now, 9 months later, i finally arranged for our wonderful woodsman to chop all but this solitary trunk which will soon burst out in bloom. Most likely its last hoorah but i just had to let it strut its stuff whilst there is stuff to strut, wouldn't you agree.
rps20190905_180235.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I obviously couldn't bring myself to say goodbye so now, 9 months later, i finally arranged for our wonderful woodsman to chop all but this solitary trunk which will soon burst out in bloom. Most likely its last hoorah but i just had to let it strut its stuff whilst there is stuff to strut, wouldn't you agree.
Are you thinking of finishing the cut after this last hoorah? :nailbiting:

What if you have him cut it a bit above the eye, and use the trunk as a trellis for something vining? Or after the inside of the trunk gets a bit decomposed, maybe you could put something cascading into it to give the eye some "hair" ?? :ROFLMAO:

(I can't tell how high up the eye is. In the first few pictures, it didn't look so high, but now I can't tell.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
The eye is about 6 metres high so probably is a bit too high for your lovely imaginary idea MaryMary. 2hat a l9vely thought though. I'll probably wait untill all the other branches fall and it looks too lonely to leave all 9n its o2n so could have a couple of hoorahsleft.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
......all on its own.....was what I was trying to say, plus a gap between "hoorahs" and " left" would have been clearer. i could put red crosses on those mistakes but I don't think teachers do that nowadays. And luckily i proof read 3 times because i nearly left gape instead of gap, then I'd have to post yet another correction post. Better quit whilst I'm ahead.
And MaryMary the lower eye from the first photo I posted seems to be not so obvious, otherwise the cascading "hair" would have been an option....or maybe a Mohawk

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question