Good vegetables for a beginner?

Reaction score
I agree that tomatoes are very easy to grow. I have grown tomatoes several times right in my own home with minimal effort. I have a question for my fellow gardeners. Would pumpkins be very hard to grow for a beginner?

Reaction score
Tomatoes have always been easy for me to grow. Especially the little cherry tomatoes. Those things just seem to thrive for me. Basil is another easy one.
Every year I grow tomatoes, my only problem is that they are always cherries. I wish I could grow some big ones. I think I have to put a plan into action for next spring.

Reaction score
Every year I grow tomatoes, my only problem is that they are always cherries. I wish I could grow some big ones. I think I have to put a plan into action for next spring.

I know what you mean. I can easily grow cherry, pear and roma tomatoes but when it comes to the larger ones I have a problem and don't even get me started on heirloom tomatoes......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My very first vegetables were tomatoes and they didn't cause me any troubles, so in my opinion you should start with them. They grow rather fast. Radishes would be a good choice too.
Anyway, you should grow vegetables that you find the most delicious, this way you'll stay motivated:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Very true... I love to go and have a wander around the local allotments, see how everyone else is getting on. Everyone seems so friendly around there, too..always happy to have a chat and share advice.

Some say that peppers are really easy to grow (and thus good for beginners), but I have to disagree. I've never been able to grow them unless they're in my house. I've heard that they really can't tolerate changes, especially temperature. Whilst I do try to regulate the temperature in my greenhouse, our weather in Wales is so unpredictable that my pepper plants are usually dead / dying before I get a chance to do anything. They don't so much mind my windowsills though, as I live in an old house, it's very difficult to heat it up, but then it stays a regular temperature through every season for the same reason, so the peppers seem to thrive in here. :)

If anyone has any tips bout this, I'd be extremely grateful, and would love to hear them, as I love peppers too much just to give up on them completely. :confused:
You could try a heat sink...

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Solar-Greenhouse-Heat-Sink.htm

May not be much use to you in the winter, in N Wales, (I live in Cheshire, so similar climate) but should help a bit with temperature during the spring/summer/autumn when you want to grow peppers.

Ask a Question