Good for a sore throat

Reaction score
I remember when I was little my Grandma would always tell us that there certain herbs that were good for your health. At first I didn't think much of it, but as I got older I remember one day I got sick with a sore throat and my grandma said I'll be right back she went outside and came back with some leaves from a tree that we had outside. She told me let me wash them and put them on the stove in water so after a few minutes she poured it in a cup and gave it to me to drink it didn't work over night, but I did notice the difference of how much the warmth relaxed me and soothed my throat a little. A couple days later sure enough I felt a lot better and I credit my grandma. I still drink some of that tea till this day. I believe its from one of those trees that grow citrus.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I use a tea that is a combination of slippery elm, licorice root and orange peel. Makes a sore throat feel good right away.

Reaction score
I love using natural remedies for things like sore throats, because I really don't fancy loading my body with antibiotics and what not! I often use a mix of honey and lemon. That usually helps with my sore throat. Right now I'm taking a horsetail tea to treat my recurrent UTIs... herbal remedies are awesome!

Reaction score
I agree Trellum, lemon and honey are really good, I add lemon balm in as well. If I am feverish I use catnip or any of the other mint plants. For a cough its horehound, borage is another excellent all around remedy for coughs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion honey is the best remedy for a sore throat, it always helps me almost instantly. I also really like eucalyptus candies:) I buy them when I have a cold.

Reaction score
I agree that honey is an excellent remedy for a sore throat. Drinking hot tea with honey also helps to soothe my throat.
Mint is also a natural way to soothe a sore throat. Combining hot tea, honey and mint is a triple threat against sore throats.

Reaction score
I was always given a warm lemon drink when I was sick. It always coated the throat really well and I felt better the next day (After sleeping like a rock!). Honey and lemon is a wonderful combination. If you're feeling adventurous, add a bit of garlic. Good antibiotic.

Reaction score
I agree that honey is an excellent remedy for a sore throat. Drinking hot tea with honey also helps to soothe my throat.
Mint is also a natural way to soothe a sore throat. Combining hot tea, honey and mint is a triple threat against sore throats.

Ooh! Especially fresh mint. The wonderful smell is almost enough to calm an aching body.

Reaction score
Piping hot tea made mixed with honey and fresh mint is one of favorite ways of drinking tea anyway - but if I have a sore throat will add eucalyptus and extra honey - which I find works a treat :)

EmberxDoll - Although I love the taste of fresh garlic and even eat quite a lot of it - somehow have never felt any great urge to add garlic to my honey and fresh mint tea - I know that garlic compliments the flavour of a lot of things - but can't say that I think it would be so in this case and the thought of doing it certainly doesn't have any great appeal for me, so for now - am happy just to take your word for it - that it tastes really good o_O

Reaction score
When I get sore throats, my parents usually make me drink medicine, and it irritates me. I've always been reliant on ginger, but I'm going to also try these methods you've mentioned. Thank you!

Reaction score
When I get a sore throat, my granny makes me this tea. It always helps me.
Combine the ginger tea with cinnamon and lemon. The compositions comprise:

1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 cinnamon stick
2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
1/2 cup of water

Mix ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes. Pour three tablespoons of the mixture in a glass of warm water and drink. Save the rest for extra cups of tea later in the day. :)))

Reaction score
Honey green tea is what I drink when I get a sore throat. It works every time. I used to get the herb drops you let dissolve in your mouth but no more.

Reaction score
Lemongrass and chamomile does wonderful for a sore throat. Making a lemongrass tea will do wonders for you, especially with some honey for coating.

Reaction score
Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon, Garlic and Sea Salt are a wonderful remedy for a sore throat. Just add five drops of the vinegar, five drops of lemon, two drops of the sea salt, and three cloves of minced garlic in an empty bottle. Add water into the bottle and let soak for at least about two hours and use it for gargling your throat. You can do this step three times a day in the morning, afternoon and at night before you go to bed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I have a sore throat I usually eat a bit of grated ginger... it really burns my throat but in no time my throat is relieved from it's soreness.

Ask a Question