Good afternoon all

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Pete. What sort of gardening? After being made redundant I started off cutting lawns and hedges, but as an ex-chef I suppose you could be starting a kitchen garden, or you might be plunging in at the deep end as a landscaper and garden constructor for others. Whatever, the very best of luck, and I hope you enjoy being outside as much as I did over the years.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Pete. What sort of gardening? After being made redundant I started off cutting lawns and hedges, but as an ex-chef I suppose you could be starting a kitchen garden, or you might be plunging in at the deep end as a landscaper and garden constructor for others. Whatever, the very best of luck, and I hope you enjoy being outside as much as I did over the years.
Thank you Oliver. I'm cutting lawns and hedges, exactly as you said :) . I'm developing my allotment for edibles, and moving into garden maintenence, hopefully landscaping. I'm also studying on line, RHS level 2 principles of plant growth and development. I'm loving being outside its long overdue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Pete, a late welcome from me. Gardening is a bit like cooking. Even when you become ultra efficient and knowledgeable, you will discover something else that will go wrong. None of us will ever know it all, and that is the thing that will keep you hooked. It is challenging and rewarding all at the same time.
I know that if I am in the garden - whatever the weather - and whatever life chucks at me, I will feel better. It is my go to medicine in all circumstances.
Work with nature rather than fight it. Insects all have their place and their part to play. It is better to discourage them in some situations rather than brandish death and destruction.
Oh look, I've gone into sermon mode 😧 ...........:sorry:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Pete, a late welcome from me. Gardening is a bit like cooking. Even when you become ultra efficient and knowledgeable, you will discover something else that will go wrong. None of us will ever know it all, and that is the thing that will keep you hooked. It is challenging and rewarding all at the same time.
I know that if I am in the garden - whatever the weather - and whatever life chucks at me, I will feel better. It is my go to medicine in all circumstances.
Work with nature rather than fight it. Insects all have their place and their part to play. It is better to discourage them in some situations rather than brandish death and destruction.
Oh look, I've gone into sermon mode 😧 ...........:sorry:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Oliver. I'm cutting lawns and hedges, exactly as you said :)
I used to decline hedges on busy roads, they catch all the dust and dirt and the first couple I did actually made me feel ill before I cottoned on why. On the other hand if you live on a busy road get a good front hedge, they protect you from a lot more than noise and nosy neighbours.

Ask a Question