Girt pile of rubble

Reaction score
Really impressive handiwork, it's just lovely to see families working together..i bet you exceeded her expectations

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good work Zigs - that's one way to keep fit :D.

I've never seen a slow worm before, even as a kid playing in fields for months on end. Maybe they don't like 'up north :D.

They are partly solar powered so they might not like the frozen north :D
DSCN0215.JPG

Disturbed this one back in the Summer :)

I see a few slow worms. They are the only ones that fishermen of advanced age like Zigs and myself can catch. That's one of the reasons we have to garden, and that is so we can have something to eat

:D Oh, I don't know Chuck

Really impressive handiwork, it's just lovely to see families working together..i bet you exceeded her expectations

It did, didn't tell her I was building it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
And here I thought you were being truthful, you cad :LOL: I could not for the life of me figure out why the worms would be slow. Silly me. That looks like a little itty bitty garden snake, I would say it is cute but I have seen those suckers open there mouths to bite you and they really are not. We get snakes, sometimes they are little sometimes they are huge.

One year I was outside taking care of the flower bed and my goofy dog started to make a commotion so I went to see what was up. I figured she had found a toad because she was hopping back and forth, I hate that because she kills them. Toads are beneficial so I don't try to kill them. Anyway I got closer and she threw something at me. I looked down and there was this 3 foot long black and red snake. It was sort of pretty the black was nice and shiny. I never saw a snake like that, I looked it up in the states database, it seems what we had was a Eastern Red Bellied Rat Snake, pretty rare these days in this area. We usually only get the common garden snakes.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
He's actually a legless Lizard, wont bite at all, but you have to be careful if you handle them as their tails break off :eek:

Only got 3 types of true snake over here, and only one of those is poisonous :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
He's actually a legless Lizard, wont bite at all, but you have to be careful if you handle them as their tails break off :eek:

We have these things called skinks here. They look and act just like your slow worms but these things have little tiny legs so they are actually lizards but the legs are so tiny that they look like little snakes. They aren't rare where I live but are not common either. They are very beneficial and the next time I see one in my garden I will get his picture

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Please send address. You are very lacking in snakes and need some. Which type would you prefer? I can fill any order you may have and will even provide free shipping. Please RSVP as they are mostly hibernating now and much easier to obtain and ship:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Yes, and I'll throw in all sorts of grasshoppers (in season) and crickets. Just let us know what bait you need, and we'll supply it. Would you care for a few stink bugs, also?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your kind offers :D

Swap you for our Tory government, they'd probably do a better job :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Reading through this thread has been terribly entertaining. Who knew that a pile of rocks could produce so much lively "conversation"?

Zigs, your wall is fantastic!! Want to come to the US for a visit when I get some land in Texas? I suspect it will take a lot of work, I'll use your posts for inspiration!

I'm beginning to think we should take up a collection and import @zigs over to our side of the pond to get all our gardens into proper shape.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D You can tell it's the quiet period for gardening.

Ta :)

I'll start loading up the Boat with supplies

Ask a Question