From the compost pile

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Earlier this season we harvested a large pumpkin that came up volunteer in our compost pile. Yesterday while I was adding to the pile, I found these--various sizes, but all from the volunteer vine in the compost pile. We also have zinnias blooming in the pile. This may be the best garden spot we have!
Pumpkins.jpg

(Note to self--in future, do not add pumpkin seeds to the compost pile.)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
MaryMary, yes they are pie pumpkins. I get the small, flatter pie pumpkins when they are on sale the day after Halloween. Since those were the only seeds I chucked into the compost, they must be the pie type. Don't plan on buying pumpkins this year!
I split them, put them on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake them at 350 until they collapse. Cool, scrape out the meat, puree it and freeze for future pies. I think the puree makes better, more "pumpkiny" pies because it is baked only twice (in oven, and then in pie) as opposed to the canned pumpkin which is cooked three times (to get the flesh, to can, and then into a pie).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
MaryMary, yes they are pie pumpkins. I get the small, flatter pie pumpkins when they are on sale the day after Halloween. Since those were the only seeds I chucked into the compost, they must be the pie type. Don't plan on buying pumpkins this year!
I split them, put them on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake them at 350 until they collapse. Cool, scrape out the meat, puree it and freeze for future pies. I think the puree makes better, more "pumpkiny" pies because it is baked only twice (in oven, and then in pie) as opposed to the canned pumpkin which is cooked three times (to get the flesh, to can, and then into a pie).
Marlin, my family loves to bake our extra pumpkins as you describe but we just add a little cinnamon and eat right out of the rind. It makes a great accompaniment for ham.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Marlin, my family loves to bake our extra pumpkins as you describe but we just add a little cinnamon and eat right out of the rind.

We bake acorn squash the same way, with the cinnamon we add a little butter and brown sugar while baking. Not enough brown sugar to make it SWEET - but enough to make it a little sweet. We eat that for dessert!! (y) :)

Ask a Question