Actinomycetes- Dont turn that Pile!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So in pursuit of organic defense mechanisms to use in my over used garden soil, with its build up of left over soil pathogens, I read about a product called mycostop which contains a fusarium killing bacteria from what is incorrectly called ray fungus. Mycostop is used by growers for diseases caused by pythium, fusarium, botrytis, alternaria, phomopsis, and to a lesser extent for rhizoctonia and phytophthora. It has particularly good activity against fusarium. It main ingredient looked like a fungus, so they called it a fungus, but it is actually a bacteria. And it turns out, one that is superuseful. And drum roll please...its pretty common..and helpful...and possibly dangerous for infectious reasons when I snort up a bunch of my own compost dust. Streptomyces griseoviridis Strain K61 is what is in Mycostop, and is evidently related to streptomycin like a doctor would give you. It is a member of a larger family though. And that is where things get really interesting for composters like myself. Ever wonder why adding compost is supposed to be so good at balancing pathogens? Read on...

Actinomycetes
Remarkable Antibiotics, Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria, Decomposer

I am trying to understand if I can, or even if I should, grow this bacteria in a concentrated compost of some sort as Mycostop is something like $5usd per gram. So I have been reading, reading, reading. Finding this link, I thought I should share. It is just another example of something important that I did not know. That happens to me too often, though I do enjoy a good epiphany now and then.

https://www.the-compost-gardener.com/actinomycetes.html

Along the lines of playing catch up to Mother Nature, it turns out ants have known all this stuff all along. This kinda thing really amuses me. Here is the link.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2764898/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know if it's the same thing but I have been using a product called Actinovate for years when ever I have a serious soil pathogen causing me severe problems. I would use it more often but it's a tad pricey although a lot cheaper than 5$ per gram. I never put any into my compost though, maybe I should. I find I can control most pathogens by other less expensive means.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Chuck - it is of the same family so why not?

Gardeners supply:

"Actinovate contains a naturally occurring bacterium called Streptomyces lydicus, which is responsible for the distinct "earthy" odor we associate with moist, healthy soil."

From the wiki...

Streptomyces is the largest genus of Actinobacteriaand the type genus of the family Streptomycetaceae.[1] Over 500 species of Streptomyces bacteria have been described.[2] As with the other Actinobacteria, streptomycetes are Gram-positive, and have genomes with high GC content.[3] Found predominantly in soil and decaying vegetation, most streptomycetes produce spores, and are noted for their distinct "earthy" odor that results from production of a volatile metabolite, geosmin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Could it be that actinomycetes are some of the bacteria cultivated in bacterial actively-aerated compost tea, & what gives it its bang?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would think so. And cultivating others such as are found in actinovate and mycostop add to the antiseptic matrix of defense.

Streptomyces is the largest genus of Actinobacteria and the type genus of the family Streptomycetaceae. Over 500 species of Streptomyces bacteria have been described. As with the other Actinobacteria, streptomycetes are Gram-positive, and have genomes with high GC content.Wikipedia

Scientific name: Streptomyces
Higher classification: Streptomycetaceae
Did you know: Streptomyces is the largest antibiotic-producing genus, producing antibacterial, antifungal, and antiparasitic drugs, and also a wide range of other bioactive compounds, such as immunosuppressants.wikipedia.org

Ask a Question