Girt pile of rubble

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Been clearing Sis's hedge out over the past few weeks, digging out allsorts. Have separated all the old metal to cash in down the scrappy, but was left with this.

DSCN0623.JPG

Sis said maybe we could bag it up and take it down the tip, but I know that'd never happen, so I made a tidy pile of it instead.

DSCN0655.JPG
DSCN0654.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How long has that rock wall been there? And what was on that property 500 years ago?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How long has that rock wall been there? And what was on that property 500 years ago?

Started it a week ago Chuck. Nothing but a flood plain before that. Found a few broken Mesolithic tools but apart from that nothing since the ice age up until recently.

Last owner dumped everything in the hedge,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Zigs, you have brought "repurposing" to an art form! That is a lovely stone wall, and it just fits in with the landscape. Your sister must be so very happy, and so very grateful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Started it a week ago Chuck. Nothing but a flood plain before that. Found a few broken Mesolithic tools but apart from that nothing since the ice age up until recently.

Last owner dumped everything in the hedge,
If flood plains are anything like here in Texas, THERE JUST AIN'T NO TELLING WHAT IS DOWN THERE.

Reaction score
Very impressived :)

Especially as I know what its like to build walls like that as I have built many of my own - hopefully though - you haven't got a drunken tractor driver that will demolish parts of it each year and yours will stay looking much the same as it does now - as you won't have to keep repairing and rebuilding yours like I do.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ta all :)

Best thing to do with drunken tractor drivers is to put sugar in their fuel tank, that'll stop em :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I am in love with that stone wall, I so want one that big, I have a very low wall like that along my bed I call the island, I made it myself from rock I unearthed while putting in the new driveway. Just a thought, that debris looks sort of like true rubble and refuse, but if you have a sloped area that's a bit dry why not put in a rock garden? Nice way to add something to those areas that just don't right for anything. I so try to re-use whatever I can, sometimes it sits around awhile to inspiration hits.

So how many snakes did you chase out of that hedge?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's all sorts of rubbish, from old bricks to concrete blocks. Put all the rough stuff on the side I don't have to look at :D

No snakes, was expecting a few slow worms but non of those either :rolleyes:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good work Zigs - that's one way to keep fit :D.
No snakes, was expecting a few slow worms but non of those either :rolleyes:

I've never seen a slow worm before, even as a kid playing in fields for months on end. Maybe they don't like 'up north :D.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good work Zigs - that's one way to keep fit :D.

I've never seen a slow worm before, even as a kid playing in fields for months on end. Maybe they don't like 'up north :D.
I see a few slow worms. They are the only ones that fishermen of advanced age like Zigs and myself can catch. That's one of the reasons we have to garden, and that is so we can have something to eat

Ask a Question