Gardening Mistakes To Avoid

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The biggest, most common mistake I make in my gardening efforts is giving my plants too much water. I have had plants dry out on my in the past and so I started watering them much more than I should, and I am working on the balance on that now. I live in an area that gets a lot of rainfall and have to take this into consideration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Vegetables: planting too close and underestimating how much space they'll take up. Years of vegetable gardening and I STILL make this mistake sometimes!
House plants: Learned a long time ago that over-watering is probably the single most common cause of indoor plants failing to thrive, or dying.

Also as CanadianLori says, putting annuals and veggies out too soon. Tomorrow morning we're apparently getting a freeze or hard frost. Hopefully the last! A friend and I have a date Wednesday evening after work to go veggie and flower shopping at our favourite greenhouse. I'm itching to start faffing around in the dirt. :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My biggest mistake would be the planting too close to try and get more plants in a small area. I have the watering down and have not lost any plants lately.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am also not sure what a mistake I am making with cucumbers, but they never grow right for me. Mine are never a beautiful uniform shape like you find at the store. I have grown to enjoy the odd shapes mine are going to take on when they start to sprout.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am also not sure what a mistake I am making with cucumbers, but they never grow right for me. Mine are never a beautiful uniform shape like you find at the store. I have grown to enjoy the odd shapes mine are going to take on when they start to sprout.
Odd shaped cucs are normally caused by irregular soil moisture. Cucs like it to be steady, not semi-damp one week and wet the next

Reaction score
Interesting article! Thanks for sharing! I think the first and worst mortal mistake I made with my first potted plants was too water the to much and now waiting until the sun was gone to water them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Odd shaped cucs are normally caused by irregular soil moisture. Cucs like it to be steady, not semi-damp one week and wet the next

Thanks for that information, very helpful. I live in a region where it can be dry and sunny one week and wet the next, so I imagine this imbalance is caused by my crazy weather. The cucumbers still taste good, but they are just not as appealing in the looks department as some of the ones you find at the market.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for that information, very helpful. I live in a region where it can be dry and sunny one week and wet the next, so I imagine this imbalance is caused by my crazy weather. The cucumbers still taste good, but they are just not as appealing in the looks department as some of the ones you find at the market.
I know what you mean. I sometimes have a golfball size cuc with a little tail and it is caused by me not watering properly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Be sure to plant Daffodil, Tulip, Hyacinth, and other Spring bulbs the correct measurement.

Ask a Question