Gardening As You Age - Suggestions? - Kathy Gallanis

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
All I know is remembering the saying, Use it or loose it. Some days I make my self take a 1/2 mile walk around my neighborhood. It hurts in the beginning but after a bit gets better. I used to walk so much with my GSD's miles and miles. Even though walking about my garden is a lot, the focused "just" walking helps. I have to keep up the walking so when at car shows I can walk around a lot to look at cars or simply get back and forth from our car to the tow car for supplies etc. And I am 70.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I keep plenty busy but with bad Leg and Arm, Arthritis and memory is 5 seconds some things I just can't.

Thing is I find I can't until it's too late.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use to be very active weights, YOGA and Swimming. That was at the Gym. Get home cut Firewood, Garden and go hunting but I've been getting much weaker I'm thinking more from Hormone Shots.

Plus now I'm afraid I'm going to have an accident and pee all over everything.

big rockpile

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am right there with you Kathy. This is why I opted for raised beds. The containers are 3' high plus another 8" or so with a platform of railroad ties. I decided on this approach at 66 years old. In other words, while I still could. This height makes a world of difference. My other beds are about 2' and 1' off the ground.

As others have mentioned, it is important to keep exercising and keep moving. Try using all of your muscle groups. I begin my day with a 2 mile brisk walk followed by light core exercises and finally gardening and yard chores. Walking is great although it doesn't target all muscle groups. This is where core exercises, gardening and yard chores fill the void and what's best, these activities are much more enjoyable than any trip to the gym.

Oh, and least I forget...pitching in to clean the house once a week. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My missus says you should have a call button, I reckon that's twentieth century, carry your phone to call your son, or missus, or neighbour for help. Helping makes people feel good, and most people approve of someone who isn't just giving up.
Shoot I'm 70 but with only one Arm and Leg working well I fall which is often, I'm down until someone gets me up.

I'm trying big time to garden and do well until I mess up.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
My missus says you should have a call button, I reckon that's twentieth century, carry your phone to call your son, or missus, or neighbour for help. Helping makes people feel good, and most people approve of someone who isn't just giving up.
My wife got mad at me the other day. I fell didn't have my phone. Next time I went out. GET YOUR PHONE AND CANE!

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am right there with you Kathy. This is why I opted for raised beds. The containers are 3' high plus another 8" or so with a platform of railroad ties. I decided on this approach at 66 years old. In other words, while I still could. This height makes a world of difference. My other beds are about 2' and 1' off the ground.

As others have mentioned, it is important to keep exercising and keep moving. Try using all of your muscle groups. I begin my day with a 2 mile brisk walk followed by light core exercises and finally gardening and yard chores. Walking is great although it doesn't target all muscle groups. This is where core exercises, gardening and yard chores fill the void and what's best, these activities are much more enjoyable than any trip to the gym.

Oh, and least I forget...pitching in to clean the house once a week. ;)
Was going to have Raised Beds but decided against it for now.

I was walking road by the house but found I can't get up the hill at all.

I keep my stuff clean. She has her end of the house I have mine.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Believe its now been 8 years when husband fell off a ladder working on the roof. He was just on the 2nd from the bottom level. Fell into mulch, but somehow his humorous got totally cracked in half. I was away at a job site. He did have his cell phone on him. A neighbor came to help, and he called the ambulance. According to him he had to manually take his arm from behind him and put it on his chest. I was finally called, and got to the ER to be with him. He ended up having to have surgery, getting a plate and screws put in. My worry was how easy he broke that bone from a short fall like that. I told him he needs a bone density test. Anyway, was fun for a few weeks with showers etc, re-wrapping it ect. back and forth for X-rays to make sure it was healing. But all good now. And this happened on July 4.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Believe its now been 8 years when husband fell off a ladder working on the roof. He was just on the 2nd from the bottom level. Fell into mulch, but somehow his humorous got totally cracked in half. I was away at a job site. He did have his cell phone on him. A neighbor came to help, and he called the ambulance. According to him he had to manually take his arm from behind him and put it on his chest. I was finally called, and got to the ER to be with him. He ended up having to have surgery, getting a plate and screws put in. My worry was how easy he broke that bone from a short fall like that. I told him he needs a bone density test. Anyway, was fun for a few weeks with showers etc, re-wrapping it ect. back and forth for X-rays to make sure it was healing. But all good now. And this happened on July 4.
I fell few years ago put my Shoulder around to my Spine.

They operated but could no longer get use of it. Said I just destroyed too much.

The other day I fell couldn't get up. Called my wife she called a neighbor to get me up.

Then came home with a bunch of don'ts.

I was in my Greenhouse. Climbed on a stool to reset a Timer. Fell through a Window.

I take Calcium because of the Hormone Shots.

big rockpile

Ask a Question