Garden overhaul, featuring many unidentifiable plants and weeds

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good news. I would let your grape vine regrow on the pergola. If it gets too unruly, you can prune it back, but keep a framework of main branches so that it can provide quick shade and greenery in Spring.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Good news. I would let your grape vine regrow on the pergola. If it gets too unruly, you can prune it back, but keep a framework of main branches so that it can provide quick shade and greenery in Spring.
They grow at crazy speeds! The grape vine plant is probably 20+ years old. Will it still be viable in producing fruit?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pruning a grape vine back to the ground is a process of rejuvenation. Grape vines produce best on younger stems, which is all you will have now. You may begin to get good crops as soon as next summer (2022-2023), especially if you continue to prune correctly into the future. Of course, the shade and appearance of a grape arbor may be just as pleasant as the fruit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I inherited a grape vine that filled a greenhouse, read up about pruning them and looked at the mass that I removed last year and the short stem left over with some trepidation. It's back in strength this year and bearing plenty of fruit, so keep watering :)
Lucky you having a climate that does not need a greenhouse.

Ask a Question