Fixing up a neglected garden!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys! My neighbour and I share a garden (UK) and are fixing it up (we are not gardeners at all, I should add! There are two parts, the lower concrete section where we plan to have a fire pit, table chairs, etc, and the "upper" bit with metal steps leading up a small wall. It was extremely overgrown and apparently untouched for a few years, but after a couple of hours work together we've gotten most of it away. We now have quite a muddy patch with moss and a lots of weeds and stuff poking out which we plan on continuing to get up and loosen the soil and then seed with grass.

As we have cleared the left side, part of the wall has come down. This isn't affordable for us to fix "properly" unfortunately. We are looking for ideas for this bit mostly, which continues down the size of the neighbouring buildings wall which is lined with cracks and shrubbery. Most of this is cleared but the grounding is terrible down this side really.

We were thinking potentially digging out the dirt heap where the wall has broke and using concrete and bigger rocks as well as broken parts of pottery to make some sort of a rockery to keep it stable, and continue down the wall side of the concrete section to hide how poor the ground is there.

I've attached a photo of the upper part of the garden, as well as the broken wall and would love some thoughts and advice on how to improve it all:) You can see a little bit how much we have had to pull down:') Many thanks!

(please mind our two trees they were overruled with ivy!. There's still obviously a LOT more for us to clear and a fence to fix, I wish I had before photos)

garden1.jpg

garden2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would take the wall down and reuse the brick for a smoker or rotisserie grill/fire pit or path way. The plants are a journey of discovery you wel may find treasures to keep as you continue to prune.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like your idea for a rockery. You can even incorporate some of the fallen bricks... a 'brickery'.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
The idea of creating a brick path is also good in my opinion - giving you an idea of how one space of the garden leads into the other.
Almost looks like you could create a beautiful shade garden. :)

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Given that it is a retaining wall I would dig out that end and repair as best I could and backfill. Also check deeds of property to see if you have a duty to maintain it.
You say it carries on down a neighbouring building photos of that continuation would be useful.
I'd get rid of the two balding conifers and keep the chair.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Given that it is a retaining wall I would dig out that end and repair as best I could and backfill. Also check deeds of property to see if you have a duty to maintain it.
You say it carries on down a neighbouring building photos of that continuation would be useful.
I'd get rid of the two balding conifers and keep the chair.
Ditto that - on the conifer removal.

Ask a Question