Garden Decoration & Organization

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I love gardening and have been gardening in suburbia and also have done my fair share of foraging in the woods. Each has great rewards.
If I go to all of the trouble of cultivating my own backyard garden, I'm gonna go the extra mile and make it look good! I'm gonna label everything and make things beautiful. I am thinking of getting some garden markers... Maybe like these? Do you think these look good?

Attachments

• IMG_20200101_120929286_480x640_480x640.jpg
    IMG_20200101_120929286_480x640_480x640.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Tess and welcome.

They look great.

Much as we love our small garden, I did all the building and hard landscaping over thirty years ago, we just enjoy it and let it "get on with it," We've too many other interests, to go into detail. From time to time we remove plants which we don't like so much or grow too big, replacing them with others.

Here's a tour, the "rose patio," last year replaced a 3000 gallon koi pool I dug out in 1986. It developed a leak and it would have meant a lot of work to replace the liner. At the age of 79 I didn't fancy filling it in myself with the near twenty tons of soil I dug out, so I got a firm in to do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Beautiful rose patio! Have you ever tried aquaponics with your koi pond?

It was a koi pool, unlike a pond. Sheer sides and completely clear of any vegetation. There was a big filter, a UV sterilizer and the water was trickle changed by mains water 24/7 to waste through a declorinator. The water quality was always acceptable because the system worked well. There was a purgeable pump sump which prevented course solids coming up from the bottom drain being pumped into the filter. By putting a standpipe in a socket in the bottom of the 40 gall sump and pumping the contents to a house drain, when the standpipe was released, air pressure on the surface of the pool forced 40 gallons of water and whatever else was in the bottom drain and the four inch pipe under it connected to the sump, up intothe sump, which could in turn be pumped to waste, so the pool stayed very clean. I did this at least once a week and twice a week in the summer.

If you dropped anything however small, say a nail into the pool you'd be able to see it on the bottom through five feet deep water.

My system was large, low maintenance, worked well, but old fashioned by modern standards, but it was good enough for the Japanese at the time I built it and I never thought I needed to change it.

Ask a Question