Garden advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently got into gardening and I am looking for some advice.

I have two flower beds, and two large planters. I have been trying to grow dahlias among other things, however the things I plant don’t really seem to be growing or blooming. My dahlia which I have grown from tubers has plenty of leaves and is green, however the heads seem to be dead before they even form, going yellow with black bits on them (I’m guessing aphids) for which I have tried spraying with some washing liquid and water but to no avail. I also purchased some young dahlias which already had some heads on them, however the heads aren’t opening and also look to be going slightly yellow. I have watered them when needed, tried Epsom salts, fertiliser, compost etc but nothing seems to work. None of the flowers in my flower bed seem to thrive, I was hoping they would grow bigger and fill out the flower bed however this doesn’t seem to be happening. Wondering if someone had some advice for a beginner on how to thicken out my garden and get some decent blooms on my plants?

I also recently added an apple tree and a couple of Salix if anyone had any advice on caring for those!

Many thanks

Ask a Question