Gaillardia Identidication pls

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi

Thankfully found this forum and hope ro identify 3 gaillardia that we bought/were given.

So our local garden centre buys large amounts of plants and they last a day before the great unwashed swarm over them and they are snatched away like a pair of posh undies at a church jumble sale.

A few weeks ago we were there early and managed to grab a couple of gaillardia plants. A yellow and red and a full red one. Then a couple of weeks ago a wind like the end of days tore them to shreds. Our parents replaced them and showed us the replacements which were exactly the same colours and had different names than ours did even though they were the same visually. The garden centre also sold us a dahlia called Verrones Obsidion which we'd been after for ages. When it came out it was yellow lol. So I went back and purchased the correct one which was labelled the same as the yellow one 🤷 never mind. So after much googling I've realised that subtle variations in the gaillardia flower identify it correctly. Except ours which don't seem to match those named on this forum or Google or the helpful video on another thread on this forum. So names they could be are Sunset Snappy, Sunset Cutie, Celebrations and a different red, red one. Or all of those names might be bogus. I've no idea I've never grown them before but I love them.

If anyone is really hot on Gaillardia maybe you can ID which ones they are for sure. I'll attach photos and thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20230819_135554.jpg
    20230819_135554.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230819_135542.jpg
    20230819_135542.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230819_135532.jpg
    20230819_135532.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi

Thankfully found this forum and hope ro identify 3 gaillardia that we bought/were given.

So our local garden centre buys large amounts of plants and they last a day before the great unwashed swarm over them and they are snatched away like a pair of posh undies at a church jumble sale.

A few weeks ago we were there early and managed to grab a couple of gaillardia plants. A yellow and red and a full red one. Then a couple of weeks ago a wind like the end of days tore them to shreds. Our parents replaced them and showed us the replacements which were exactly the same colours and had different names than ours did even though they were the same visually. The garden centre also sold us a dahlia called Verrones Obsidion which we'd been after for ages. When it came out it was yellow lol. So I went back and purchased the correct one which was labelled the same as the yellow one 🤷 never mind. So after much googling I've realised that subtle variations in the gaillardia flower identify it correctly. Except ours which don't seem to match those named on this forum or Google or the helpful video on another thread on this forum. So names they could be are Sunset Snappy, Sunset Cutie, Celebrations and a different red, red one. Or all of those names might be bogus. I've no idea I've never grown them before but I love them.

If anyone is really hot on Gaillardia maybe you can ID which ones they are for sure. I'll attach photos and thanks in advance.
Those are very pretty flowers. Maybe someone will show up who knows the names. Thanks for the post.

Ask a Question