Fungus on Lilac tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is what I have been reading about:

"Propiconazole is a systemic fungicide widely recognized as the leading treatment for Oak Wilt. Propizol will stop or inhibit the spread of Oak Wilt and allow the infected tree to recover. Applied pro-actively, Propizol can prevent infection."

Here is a pdf file:

PDF LINK

This is gonna cost me a few bucks. Glad ya'll brought it up though, I had no idea it was coming so thank you thank you! My reading in this subject also led me to an article about an encroaching Oak Bot Canker with similiar lethal tendencies approach us from Florida.
I have been living in an area of severe oak wilt for many years and have seen every so called cure that there is, including Propizol. Here in Texas it is sold under the Alamo name. When using the injection method one has to repeat the process every 2 or 3 years. This applies to preventive as well as curative measures of the tree. I personally have seen many infected trees treated with Alamo and other injectible fungicides and not a single tree has survived more than 5 years. IMO it is a complete waste of money on infected trees. As a preventative it seems to work on a limited basis. On the other hand I have seen success although the way success is achieved is probably something most of us would be lax in maintaining. There is a man in San Antonio named Bob Webster who owns the nicest nursery in San Antonio and he lives on a ranch not too far from me. On a neighboring ranch close to the fence line of his ranch live oaks were dying from oak wilt and the dying trees were getting closer and closer each year. What he did was this. He made up a 100 gallons of Howard Garretts Sick Tree Treatment and poured it out to the drip line of the next tree in line of the oncoming oak wilt. He then spread out a layer of cornmeal and watered it in. He applied the cornmeal every 3 months. This was done about 15 years ago and the tree is still thriving. It stopped the march of the oak wilt, something the chemicals have failed to do. I have heard of infected trees surviving after being treated with a version of Websters remedy but have not actually seen it. Anyway, I thought I would tell you this to save you a bunch of money. Check out www.dirtdoctor.com. It's a great website for just about anything in the horticultural world. It will give you the recipe for the STT.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.1031.1948&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Not to be a dick, but wasn't the original post about a lilac trees fungus?? And now you're talking about the flu, jabs and an oak tree...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not to be a dick, but wasn't the original post about a lilac trees fungus?? And now you're talking about the flu, jabs and an oak tree...
Fungus is the one ring that rules them all. So we drift because it is inclusive, and a constant battle. The question was answered. But fungus is a general problem, and some are virtually unstoppable.

The lowly septoria leaf spot on tomatoes is one of THE reasons Doctors do not want overuse of antobiotics, because it can beat them and grow opportunistic in its attacks on humans through our food supply. There are more than 1000 variants in that pathogen family. We may seem odd about it from time to time. The oak wilt has the possibility of killing all the hardwoods. Sorry for the drift.

Lol @zigs may not be the worlds leading expert on fungi but he probably taught them.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Thanks for being a dick. Yes it was and we sorted that out and went on to something else.

When you grow up and go into a pub, you might find people talk to you about something and then carry on talking about other things. It's called a conversation :)

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Po-boy and welcome.
1627283264125.png
Here is a po - the sort commonly used by the Victorians here in the UK :giggle:

Ask a Question