Fungus?

Reaction score
IMG_20191107_171342.jpg

I had this kalanchoe tomentosa for a few months and recently, I've been noticing some white specks that wasn't there before. I've been observing it for a few days now and it seems to gradually dense and spread... I don't know what I should do.

TaprootHydro

Taproot Hydroponics
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
This is likely a form of Trichoderma. It tends to be benign and can be found in most soils. It is usually always present. It becomes more visible when the humidity levels jump up.
I have personally experienced it this season. The change from summer to fall brought on very high humidity where I am. Many of my plants exhibited this to a more intense degree than what I see in your soil. If I were you I wouldn't feel alarmed quite yet.

I combated it successfully with making sure the top layer of my soil dried out sufficiently before watering the next time, adding mycorrhiza to the water, or adding a product like Trifecta Crop Control to my water regime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tricoderma is a very beneficial fungus. It literally eats harmful fungi. Organic gardeners spread horticultural cornmeal around and on their plants to encourage its growth as cornmeal is its favorite growing medium.

Ask a Question