Fun Radish Story

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Honduras
Just wanted to share a fun story with everyone.

A couple months ago, I gave a homework assignment to my third graders in which they had to do a science experiment to learn more about the needs of plants. They were supposed to start with 2 mostly identical plants and then deprive one of either air, sunlight, or water and then see what happened over the course of a week.

One of my students, JJ, decided to plant seeds for his experiment, and did so in the cut-off bottoms of 2-liter pop bottles. He also used dirt from outside, so he ended up with a whole little garden in his container. Although his experiment didn't work that well since seeds don't really need light to grow (he had placed one of his plants out of sunlight), but it was a good opportunity to talk about seeds at any rate.

He offered me one of the plants, and of course I accepted it. I asked what it was, and he told me, but either he was saying it completely wrong or I just didn't understand him (English being his second language), so I went home having NO idea what he had given me.

I faithfully watered it and it thrived along with the weeds, but I just let them all grow and didn't worry about it. The main plant began to whither after a while but I kept watering the weeds anyway as I debated whether or not I should just set them free...

Then he brought in a packet of radish seeds to school asking if we could plant them in the garden. I agreed and then he added that they were what he had used for his science project.

Light bulb moment!

So, when I was having dinner that night, I decided to go ahead and pull the radish and see what it might look like. It was tiny (about the size of the top section of my pinkie finger), having only been grown in a few inches of dirt shared with a handful of weeds, but I washed it off and decided to just go for it, expecting to not be very impressed... It was crisp and a bit sweet and by far exceeded my expectations!

Needless to say, we will definitely be planting the rest of the seed packet in the school garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Nawww! I always wanted to be a teacher growing up, it sounds like you're a great one, with a fun, interactive classroom. A school garden sounds wonderful. And two thumbs up for the radish being good, too! Great experience all around!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Honduras
Thanks! I love being able to enjoy my students, and hope that they learn better when they do it in a fun way, rather than trying to just make them memorize things. The kids are definitely loving the garden. Some of them got to help me clone tomatoes, our sunflowers are blooming, and we just got a black soldier fly composting bin going which is an awesome opportunity to talk about waste and environmental concerns.

Ask a Question