Fruit growing in a container?

Reaction score
I live in an apartment and I have a very small community garden space for some vegetables. I do have a patio and was wondering if there is any fruits that are able to be grown in a container. I am in Ohio if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Here's fruit which can be grown in a container.
calamondin_orange_bonsai2.jpg

It's a Calamondin Orange Tree. Well, calling it a tree is not quite right. It's only about as big as a chilli plant. The fruit is sour with a little bit of sweetness. You can eat it raw or make it into a drink.

Reaction score
Tomatoes are always a good choice for potted veggies. Ginger will grow quite well, all you do is bury it under a couple inches of dirt and keep the soil moist and it's pretty carefree. If you like herbs, try growing some parsley, sage, thyme and basil in small pots. You can even grow a few potatoes and carrots if you have large enough pots.

Reaction score
Straw berries, black berries, melons and raspberries take well to growing in containers as far as I know. Try them. You can grow hybrid pawpaw or papaya which are short and produce fruit in a short time.. 6 months to a year.

blueberries%20potted.jpg
images
images

images
images

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's surprising but I've heard that it's possible to grow banana tree in a container - it just have to be a very big container and the plant needs a lot of sunlight.

Reaction score
A dwarf papaya tree sounds like a good idea. I like to eat papayas. I have seen some dwarf papaya trees around here. The ones I have seen are planted in the ground. I suppose there should be no problem in planting them in pots.
dwarf papaya .jpeg.jpg

Reaction score
I've never had any luck with anything but banana trees. The only other thing I have tried is blueberries but I can't grow them in the ground either so it's not saying much.

Ask a Question