Front yard redesign

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking to redo the front where the fake grass is. My front if the house looks boring and the rock to the side and behind the grass just looks bad. Live in Arizona and like desert landscaping. Plants I like, queen Victoria agave, totem pole cactus, firesticks, aloe Hercules. I am very new to this and lack the creativity to lay it out so it looks nice. Taking any suggestions, thanks! IMG_20190317_082837.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Never know anything about desert planting and I googled - so I might be talking rubbish ..

aubretia for the front,
Tithonia for the middle or back,
Stipia Gigantea for the middle or back.
Hare tail grass for the middle
Irises for the middle
Cannas for the back
Cistus for the middle
Dahlias for the middle
Alstroemerias for the middle
Peonies at the middle
Candytuft for the middle /front
California poppies

If in doubt, walk around the neighbourhood and observe what plants are smiling or ailing ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ooops! Forgot my manners ..

Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome! @alp made a good suggestion, looking around for your favorites in town. Note the orientation to the compass and whether the plants sit in shade a little or not.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would you keep the grass and just cut holes in it for the plants? Create raised planters to add depth?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you want to have weed control and suppress water/moisture loss, you could use a membrane and cut a hole to put the grass in. Another thing you can plant is Australia Bottlebrush tree, olive tree and cordyline. Use them as standard and you will have height and structure. Each to his/her own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Byztex. :)

Would you keep the grass and just cut holes in it for the plants?

If the fake grass isn't porous I don't think cutting holes in it will be enough. Rain won't make it's way through to the plants and watering by hand will be difficult. I would suggest removing the grass completely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
med
Country
United States
Hello i'm new here looking forward to learning some new ideals for my flower beds or what is left of them, their are a couple of dogs that have been playing in them and have chewed up some of my yard lights so now I'm looking to changing it. get some fresh ideals. I like a lot of color in my garden that includes those solar light strings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Roses are prickly. BTW welcome! If you start a new thread and post some pictures and tell us where your grow zone is located we can be put to the task in a more helpful way.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
med
Country
United States
These are the lights that I found for my flower bed, I have some dragonfly light string that I like to put on my poll on my porch at night they look so nice with these other lights I will add more color to my flower beds

Ask a Question