Found a book

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found an RHS book on growing under glass in a charity shop, well detailed but a bit wordy. One thing they suggest is double glazing the north side of the greenhouse with polythene, it is the side that loses most heat and doing the south side would stop more light than would be worth it. Another suggestion if planning a greenhouse is that slanted walls admit light at 90degrees, so you get less refraction. Only at the beginning, I'ff keep you posted as I go on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They want to connect the greenhouse to a mains water supply in case the butts that collect what comes off the roof runs dry, also mains electric for lights so you can work winter evenings, or run a propagator, mist unit, lighting for plants, or soil heating cables.
All seems a bit OTT.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well we've been doing something right then. North end double glazed with large bubble wrap, tunnel polythene and fleece. Electricity for light and propagator, solar power in case of cuts. There was a water point in all my houses when I had my business, but now only one of them. Ziggy's cactus take up most of the space now, and they need rain water which we have tanked up just outside, so that's not too much of a problem, as cactus don't really need watering anyway when the winter weather freezes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ventilation and shading, six pages of that.

Blinds are better than painting, you can pull them up on dull days.
They work better outside than in.
Fans and ventilators should be on opposite sides.
Hot air rises so ventilators at the top work, if they are top and bottom they will draw air in as well and work even better.

Six pages to present stuff that is pretty bloody obvious, hoping for something better soon, only 157 pages left. 'Improvised screens made from cloth, sacking or plastic sheet can be made' gets twice that number of words and two illustrations. They seem to be making a book out of a leaflet so far, but who knows? It might be really useful in a bit.

Ask a Question