Forest Fires in Quebec, Canada

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have ash all over my plants. It's little grey specs. I haven't been doing anything because the air is so bad, just walking around my yard I cough. Hopefully some rain comes soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I see stupidity isn't endemic to the US when it comes to maintaining forests.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They said on our news it is expected Norway will be affected soon, this is going to have a major effect on all sorts of things from climate to bird and animal populations.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw a program a while back where Australia was flying light aircraft over forest areas dropping small incendiaries. Traditionally the native people had lit fires regularly to drive game, but now they had moved out and were living on social the undergrowth was building up to the extent that fires were destroying the larger trees as well as the undergrowth. We know not what we do when we take our behaviour out of the natural cycle.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
True, although Canada is basically one giant forest with a few people living in it lol. It would be impossible to maintain it size compared to population.

Well, forest aside from the prairies but still lol

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am not a global warming drama person. But I've lived here in canada next to where these wild fires are going all my life and I've never seen it like this. The odd forest fire, maybe would last a couple days. It's not a dry place, large wild fires in Canada are mostly west of here. I don't jump on the global warming band wagon shouting Armageddon but the world is definitely changing. When I was a kid about 40 years ago I remember playing in snow in November. Now there is no snow until after January. Almost no rain this spring. The world is fubar.. give it a couple more years and I'm sure the artic will be on fire lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
True, although Canada is basically one giant forest with a few people living in it lol. It would be impossible to maintain it size compared to population.

Well, forest aside from the prairies but still lol
Mother nature maintained the forests very well until we humans intervened. Canada is just like America in that when Mother Nature tries to fix things we humans rush in and stop what she is trying to do. I wonder how many small fires we have extinguished instead of letting them burn and clean up the forests of all the debris. Not only are we the cause of the massive wildfires we are also the cause of untold millions of trees being killed by the Pine Bark Beetle simply because we refuse to let minor fires burn and clean things up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I now worry about, if enough Sunlight can get through for plants, like corn for animals, those plants. Fruit trees etc.
I doubt it will be dark enough for long enough to do any great harm, though yields may drop a bit. It is the war in Ukraine that is really going to cause mass starvation, those huge wheat fields feed Northern Africa and the Middle East. We will be alright, but a lot of other people will die, and no doubt the Soviets will be making political capital out of the capitalists 'Stealing' a large part of 'Their' country and stopping them supplying wheat.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Mother nature maintained the forests very well until we humans intervened. Canada is just like America in that when Mother Nature tries to fix things we humans rush in and stop what she is trying to do. I wonder how many small fires we have extinguished instead of letting them burn and clean up the forests of all the debris. Not only are we the cause of the massive wildfires we are also the cause of untold millions of trees being killed by the Pine Bark Beetle simply because we refuse to let minor fires burn and clean things up.
That's a good point

Ask a Question