Forest flame problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a forest flame that is at least 15 years old. We moved into our present home around 12 years ago and I think since the move it hasnt really ever recovered right.
I am guessing its a soil issue. Can i rectify the issue and save this plant as it was a present ftom my father in law who now has dimentia.
Thanks.
16832735143472813760545062816540.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @shiffa . I think you're right. Pieris ''forest flame'' and others will not be happy unless they are in acid soil.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, the first thing to do is find out what the soil is in your neighbourhood. You can get a testing kit either online, or at a nursery, or you could talk to gardeners who live near you - they will always be happy to chat. You can look in gardens nearby and see if they are growing acid loving plants. If the neighbours hydrangeas are blue - it's acid, if they're pink it's alkaline. You could put your plant in a large pot with a bag of ericaceous compost.
With a new garden, finding the acidity of the soil is always the first thing to do.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
First you should determine the ph of the current soil. Several test kits available for that as well as a soil test. Sounds like your plant needs about 5 ph. You want to do any ph adjustments carefully so as not to adjust too much.

Coffee (left over cool) is a good source to quickly lower ph in a small area. Elemental Sulphur is a slower acting agent but longer lasting. Vinegar is usually mostly acetic acid with ph of 2.4. So, use carefully. Pine needles, peat moss, etc. are also acidic.

Ask a Question