Flowers or just leaves?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I’m trying not to get to excited but this will be my third summer with this apple tree. No apples yet and to me this looks like it might be blooms. What do u all think?

Attachments

• 7CE9E739-6A37-4A38-AB23-4055CB191470.jpeg
    7CE9E739-6A37-4A38-AB23-4055CB191470.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 126
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m trying not to get to excited but this will be my third summer with this apple tree. No apples yet and to me this looks like it might be blooms. What do u all think?
There are blooms showing but can you take a coseup of that little tuft of leaves? There might be something off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There are blooms showing but can you take a coseup of that little tuft of leaves? There might be something off.
I think they look funny cus they are just coming out? I’ll check them tomorrow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

I took another pic today and the leaves seem even more off and I’m seeing yellow ... I thought apple blossoms were only white.

Attachments

• 8C236119-EF3F-4901-AE3A-7A76663382D3.jpeg
    8C236119-EF3F-4901-AE3A-7A76663382D3.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 107
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I took another pic today and the leaves seem even more off and I’m seeing yellow ... I thought apple blossoms were only white.
Just as I thought. Your tree has curly leaf disease. It is caused by a tiny insect that lays its eggs on immature leaves and buds and when the eggs hatch the larvae start sucking on the leaf and the leaf curls around the larvae. The leaves die and fall to the ground and next spring the whole thing starts again. IMMEDIATELY spray the entire tree with Neem Oil or a Copper based fungicide. The oil in the products will kill the eggs and larvae by either ingesting the neem or smothering the remaining eggs with the oil in the products. Hopefully it is not too late this year. In the coming fall AFTER the leaves have all fallen off spray the entire tree with dormant oil. Spray again as soon as you see buds forming.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Just as I thought. Your tree has curly leaf disease. It is caused by a tiny insect that lays its eggs on immature leaves and buds and when the eggs hatch the larvae start sucking on the leaf and the leaf curls around the larvae. The leaves die and fall to the ground and next spring the whole thing starts again. IMMEDIATELY spray the entire tree with Neem Oil or a Copper based fungicide. The oil in the products will kill the eggs and larvae by either ingesting the neem or smothering the remaining eggs with the oil in the products. Hopefully it is not too late this year. In the coming fall AFTER the leaves have all fallen off spray the entire tree with dormant oil. Spray again as soon as you see buds forming.

ty and I thought it seemed weird too and strange because I have twodifferent apple trees and their leaves are fine! I’m so sad because this is the first year of bloom for this one. I ordered the neem oil hopefully the tree will make it. It doesn’t kill the tree does it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
ty and I thought it seemed weird too and strange because I have twodifferent apple trees and their leaves are fine! I’m so sad because this is the first year of bloom for this one. I ordered the neem oil hopefully the tree will make it. It doesn’t kill the tree does it?
It doesn't kill the tree. It only kills the apple production. If one apple tree has the problem it is only a matter of time until the others do too. Spray all of them.

Ask a Question