Whats wrong with my flowers

Reaction score
Country
United States
My favorite daffodils had six bulbs this year three had no growth whatsoever when I dug them up just a hollow hole in the top three had about a half inch of green growth and just stopped and a month later havent grown anymore are they dying and how can i save them

Reaction score
Country
United States
A couple of things come to mind, Cutting down or bending the leaves before they have yellowed and started to deteriorate is a reason for poor blooms on daffodils. The other is, bulbs that were planted too late in autumn or using tiny or small bulbs may be the reason why daffodils didn't bloom.

Reaction score
Country
United States
These are bulbs I planted like four years ago and never pulled up they just came back every year till this year

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not expert but when the bulbs are not divided after a few years, they become weaker. Its a good idea, never to cut off or bend the leaf blades early, because they send all energy from the leaf down to the bulbs to store for next year. I think that's the way most bulbs are too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are not stuck together still they are six separate I don't know if they are dead or how to save them three were barely above ground and stopped and three never came up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Megan. :)

It may be that they have been damaged by pests. As they aren't growing it would be worth your while digging them up and investigating what could be wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
If they have pest damage or a disease there's nothing you can do. Re-plant them away from the others and see if they continue to grow. If they die back they may re-shoot next Spring.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Three have little nubs of green growth and like no roots but the green hasn't died and I replanted them in potting soil so I think at least those three should be ok? I think it was fire ants that caused the problem

Ask a Question