Whats killing my veg?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have been growing red / green cabbage, kohlrabi and a few other veg but I have a problem that has been killing off my veg. Dots that start to kill off the leaves, it was in one bed / plot to start but have affected the rest now.

Anyone know what it is? It's the first time I've seen it before, it's destroying everything, I removed leaves to try and stop it but did not work. Is it safe to eat?

I've attached photos.

Attachments

• DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 137

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Have you watered them in the sunshine recently? Looks like scorching from water droplets acting like magnifying glasses.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Thank you and thank you for the reply. No been watering in evenings when sun is down, the spots affect the leaves until they turn yellow and die.

Attachments

• DSC_0056.JPG
    DSC_0056.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 171
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Ziov ... I rather think you have one of the fungus problems.

It's important to grow brassicas in a different place each year..rotate the crops. This is going to be a bit difficult to get rid of now, as spores will already be in the ground around the plants. I'm finding quite a few fungus problems here too - like white mildew on all the rambling roses as it has been hot and dry during the daytime, and a lot cooler at night.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Thank you, will try some fungicide. Do you think my veg can be saved? This is the first year that I have been able to get an early crop growing and still learning, it would be a shame to loose everything.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope you can get some luck with this Ziov. Considering that spores can hide up in the soil - how about trying a physical barrier - with straw, or old bits of carpet.... then only water the roots rather than the leaves.
Have you had lots of rain where you are?
The leaves that are affected are no good at all - don't bother to try eating those. If this persists, you could always cut your losses and cut out and use all those smaller leaves that are still good for the kitchen.
Whenever my other plants give me grief (I don't have much patience with veggies) I chop them off at the bottom and tell them to get on with it. @zigs says that if you did that and cut a cross in the stalks, they may well start growing again.
I believe in the luck of the Irish.

PS. Zigs just said that growing cabbages is a pain in the proverbial in the summer. He reckons they are better as a winter crop.
Whatever you do - don't give up. (y)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Thanks :) tried to get some fungicide but local store did not sell it, looked for alternatives ended up using vinegar and breadsoda / baking soda. I cut some back and see if they grow.

The green cabbage I grew is a winter type so started a few more seeds will see if I can get a few growing for Christmas Dinner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a very healthy zucchini plant that's been producing for months, but just a couple days ago I noticed something totally ate away at my leaves, but I couldn't find the culprit --- until this morning...

Below are the pics of my eaten away leaves and the surprising culprit

002.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG

I also caught him eating the millet I grow for the birds, which was expected, but what wasn't expected is that he was eating the non-ripe millet, leaving the ripe stuff untouched.

Here's a pic of the unripe millet, with ripe millet just next to it

005.JPG
006.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very healthy zucchini plant that's been producing for months, but just a couple days ago I noticed something totally ate away at my leaves, but I couldn't find the culprit --- until this morning...

Below are the pics of my eaten away leaves and the surprising culprit

View attachment 56761View attachment 56761View attachment 56763

I also caught him eating the millet I grow for the birds, which was expected, but what wasn't expected is that he was eating the non-ripe millet, leaving the ripe stuff untouched.

Here's a pic of the unripe millet, with ripe millet just next to it

View attachment 56764View attachment 56765
That's really interesting @roadrunner - destructive, but interesting. What bird is that? We don't see those here in the UK.

Ask a Question