Flower syrups

Reaction score
You are welcome..We also add the rose syrup to milk and make a cold milkshake.. with fresh rose petals floating on top.. Try it :) I used to love it as a child. My children love it too.

How about some rose jam..
5rose_jam.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Unfortunately I'm lactose intolerant so I have to avoid drinking milk. But it sounds really delicious so I'll make a rose milkshake for my boyfriend:)
Rose jam is so yummy! I don't know if it's the same in your country but here, we always stuff donuts with it. I love it:D
I'd like to try violet jam:

img_0200.jpg

Reaction score
Those syrups look beautiful! That is a great idea for this summer! I like the lavender lemon that is wonderful.

Reaction score
Wow this thread has really got me thinking. I am going to look up some recipes to see if I can make this on my own. I love the way they all look!

Ok so I really wanted to try the rose jelly that @claudine showed up that picture of and I found that you can make the rose petal jelly or the rose hip jelly. I also saw on here that @zigs made a syrup with rose hips. This can all be so very interesting. A really different perspective on your flower garden. :D

Reaction score
I am going to have to make a book, with all the ideas I keep getting here! I am always looking for ways to use plants that we have around here. I made a salad with clovers and the flowers back in the summer. I must now research violets and roses! I think I am going to be a very busy gal, when everything starts blooming again!

Reaction score
I have never heard of, or seen the flowered syrup, it sounds like a wonderful taste treat! Thanks to all who shared their ideas on other things, fascinating and tasty ideas!

Reaction score
So, I started looking for various flower syrups and I found one to share. I was kind of worried I would not get to try and make syrup, as I have no roses at the moment. I was also thinking I would never find enough violets to make any, either. I found dandelion syrup! I am not sure about where you live, but dandelions pop up here like crazy! The recipe was posted by Melissa Breyer at care2.com. I am impatiently waiting for dandelions now!

100 dandelion flowers, or 1 and 1/2 cups petals
1 cup sweetener (honey, sugar, agave)
3 cups water
Juice of 1/2 lemon (optional)

1. Remove the petals from the sepal (the sepal consists of the small tight leaves that extend from the stem and grasp the flower). This takes a while to get the hang of, but gets much quicker as you go along. Be sure to not allow any green into the petals, it will add bitterness to the syrup.

2. Place the petals in a medium pot and cover with 3 cups water and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat, cover and let sit overnight.

3. Strain dandelion water into a bowl, pressing on the flowers with the back of a spoon to extract all the liquid.

4. Return water to pot and add sweetener, and lemon juice if using, and simmer over low heat until thickened.

5. Allow to cool, and pour into a clean jar or bottle. Store covered in refrigerator.

Makes about 2 cups

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Be prepared for brown stains on your hands from processing Dandelions, it will happen :)

I make coffee from the roots, gets a bit messy :D

Reaction score
I love coffee, what does dandelion root coffee taste like? Now I am going to pull the whole flower up, instead of just pulling off the flowers. Hurry up winter, go away!

Reaction score
Yummy!!! I had never heard about flower syrups, even tho I've heard of people doing different things with flowers, like for example salads. This might be something worth investigating! I bet flower syrup can make our average drinks taste even better!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I love coffee, what does dandelion root coffee taste like? Now I am going to pull the whole flower up, instead of just pulling off the flowers. Hurry up winter, go away!

Sorry Mariam, missed your reply, tastes a bit like regular coffee with milk and 2 sugars :)

Reaction score
I have never used the petals, but I did make rose hip jelly once. Apparently it is really high in vitamin C. The rose hips contain a lot of natural pectin as well so it need not be added. We have a lot of wild roses around and it is failry easy to get the rose hips in quantity in the fall.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I love Rose Hip Syrup :)

It saved Britain from Scurvy in the second world war, when the blockade had cut off our supply of fresh fruit, thousands of tons were collected from the hedgerows.

Reaction score
I have never made my own flower syrups but I bought them from the small local natural food market. I bought lavender, hibiscus and rose and used them for a champagne bar and a brunch. You have to be careful to not be too heavy handed but they are lovely to look at and a nice surprise. The lavender lemonade posted in this thread looks amazing, I want to make that this summer.

Ask a Question