floppy romaine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hello, I hope I can ask your assistance regarding some romaine lettuces I planted yesterday. I got them at a local hardware store and they looked a bit floppy, but I thought, oh, I'll put them in the ground and give them a good watering and they'll perk up. I planted them out yesterday afternoon, and this morning as of about 10 they have perked up a bit but are still a little floppy. Do I just need to wait longer for them to perk up? Do they need more water? Or is this just what they're supposed to look like?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Might take them a day or two. Were they hardened off before planting out (ie, were they outside at the shop?) :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
They might be going through a little transplant shock. I'd give them a few days to straighten up. Lettuce sometimes acts funky. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes, they were outside at the shop. We had a good rain yesterday and when I looked this morning (2nd morning after they had been planted) the center leaves are sticking straight up but some on the outside are still flopped on the ground. I think those leaves may just be done for. I think I'll just cut those off and eat them and let the perky leaves stay.

Ask a Question