Floppy Snow Ball Verbernum

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I've investigated pruning this plant and I know to do so once it stops flowering but just how far to go is my question.:confused: I thought I pruned it quite substantially last year but I'd say not substantially enough judging by its flipperty flopperty form. One site
rps20171025_054641.jpg
said to prune it back to 2 to 3 feet. Does that seem a bit severe to you guys?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
prune it back to 2 to 3 feet. Does that seem a bit severe to you guys?

It sounds a little severe to me. :cautious: How tall was it before the flip made the flop? :LOL:

How much does it grow in a year? Is it a multi-stemmed plant? What kind of shape do you want it to grow into?

I googled Snowball viburnum, and read that it can take a hard pruning. :unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
You did GOOD. I plan on almost murdering mine this weekend. have to cut it in half. and move it out to a place it will be happier. its reaching too much in the shade area to be happy looking. Just have not figured the new spot for it yet.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You did GOOD.

Esther, she hasn't done anything yet!! o_O Reread her post. The website she found said to prune it back to only 2 or 3 feet tall. She wants to know if that is too much...?

:) DeborahJane, more reading turned up this, so maybe 2-3 feet is not too severe:

This shrub flowers on old wood, so do not prune until after it flowers. Then prune it as necessary to thin out old branches, open up the shrub, reduce height or develop a better shape. You can rejuvenate old plants by cutting them down to a short stump but, after doing so, the shrub may not bloom for two years after rejuvination pruning. http://www.gardenality.com/Articles...ing/How-To-Prune-Viburnum-Plants/default.html

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20171027_070523.jpg

Thanks for your help MaryMary and Esther. I feel more confident now going in for the "kill" so to speak:confused:;). And good luck with yours Esther (y)
I cut off the ones touching the ground and underneath the bush and they stayed upright for a couple of days before they started to droop. Obviously they like to flip flop:rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Ask a Question