9 May 2016 Planting Romaine lettuce

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/May%202016/9%20May%202016%20Planting%20Romaine%20lettuce/HTML/ 9 May 2016 Planting Romaine lettuce
Eight romaine lettuce plants were placed in the outdoor garden. They are planted in an eight foot row at one foot spacing. Wood chip mulch was used to retain moisture, and to inhibit evaporation from the Sun. These thrive in the garden and grow to over a foot in diameter quickly, maturing all at the same time. The plants were purchased and kept in the greenhouse for 15 days.
dsc_86969%20may%202016%20planting%20romaine%20lettuce_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
This reminds me of that thread where a member wanted bigger veg.
I grow a mini-romaine type called, "Little Gem".
It's delicious, just does my wife and me for a salad, are up and ready quickly, (I've been taking them from the polytunnel for three weeks) and the spacing is eight inches apart.
I've no intention of criticising your lettuces; the one in the photo looks very good, but the little gems suit me, I plant a dozen at a time, every two-three weeks.

A question: Do light levels make it difficult to grow lettuce at the height of summer where you are?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
That sounds interesting. I will look up the Little Gem.The Romaine is far to large for home use. I make juice out of them. I have never tried to grow lettuce during the heat of Sumer. They like it cold in the early Spring or late Fall. I know nothing about the light levels only the heat.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HBGZD 4 June 2015 Romaine Lettuce Juicing
Seen mature heads of Romaine Lettuce was made into 9 liters of juice. Seven were pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage. Annotated pictures depict the process.
dsc_38234%20june%202015%20romaine%20lettuce%20juicing_std.jpg

Ask a Question