Fish fertilizer

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I need a tee shirt that says "Feed the Pile". I think that is basically all I am doing.
Funny story for you. Every year a group of us get together in the fall for a party. It's after the harvest and hunting season for a big cookout. About 5 years ago it was my turn to host it. It was kind of a pot luck, some people came with their BBQ, some with salad, beans and whatever. There was 3 of us that had those big outdoor turkey deep fryer things. In mine I made french fries. Someone else deep-fried a wild turkey and another was walleye and pike.

To make a long story short we were all half cut and no one wanted to bother waiting for the cooking oil to cool down and pour it back into the containers. So I said let's just dump it in the garden. Well, several gallons of cooking oil dumped at the side of my garden lol. It took years for that to recover. Each year when I would till it the soil in that spot was almost like a cross between playdough and connetic sand lol.

No real point to my story but lesson learned, even though I consider cooking oil to be organic I would never do that again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Funny story for you. Every year a group of us get together in the fall for a party. It's after the harvest and hunting season for a big cookout. About 5 years ago it was my turn to host it. It was kind of a pot luck, some people came with their BBQ, some with salad, beans and whatever. There was 3 of us that had those big outdoor turkey deep fryer things. In mine I made french fries. Someone else deep-fried a wild turkey and another was walleye and pike.

To make a long story short we were all half cut and no one wanted to bother waiting for the cooking oil to cool down and pour it back into the containers. So I said let's just dump it in the garden. Well, several gallons of cooking oil dumped at the side of my garden lol. It took years for that to recover. Each year when I would till it the soil in that spot was almost like a cross between playdough and connetic sand lol.

No real point to my story but lesson learned, even though I consider cooking oil to be organic I would never do that again.
Ha sounds like a missed opportunity for a big fire!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Here you go pepper.... this works.
It wouldn't let me read the story without some app so I googled it and found some info on it. If it's the same story it said she put the fish on-top of lime then more lime on-top to mask the smell from animals. Wouldn't that much lime burn the roots?

I don't know. If I did plant some fish with the tomatoes I think I would scatter around some thorn bush clippings around the plants instead of using lime.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The lime was used to cover the smell. It could affect ph depending on how deep it was used. When I used fish, I didn't use the lime with it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The lime was used to cover the smell. It could affect ph depending on how deep it was used. When I used fish, I didn't use the lime with it.
The day I planted my cannabis plants one of them I tossed in some crushed up egg shells rather then adding them to the compost. I know the plant will be grown and gone before they break down but I figured it can't hurt. That night a skunk (I assume) dug up that plant. Not completely but it did a number on the roots. I have to believe it smelled the egg shells because it didn't touch the other 3 plants.

Last year I got over 15 racoons in my live trap and that didn't even put a dent in them, more would keep coming. But there is no way in hell I am going to live trap a skunk. I did one year by accident, never ever again.. I still have nightmares about that 😂

Ask a Question